What's new

Any word on packaging for the next format(s)? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
The snapper is clearly dead, but what's next?

CD cases? Keepcases? Paper? Plastic? Slimcases? Oversized?

Despite disc size, is the packaging going to be different so people don't get confused between three (!) formats?

The trend now seems to be towards cheaper packaging (LD probably had the most opulent packaging, love those gatefolds).

DVD packaging seems to be going down-hill (naked shell with disc + pizza coupon).

When I get upgrades on 'The Thing' and 'Dazed and Confused', I'm definitely keeping the old packaging and selling off my old disc in the new case.

Wondering if some HD adopters will keep their DVD packaging and just 'upgrade' the disc.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
I think that new formats should stick primarily to the keepcase size and use clear unambiguous labeling to differentiate between the formats.

Jeff

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
That's an interesting question. The current cases were designed to match the height and depth of a VHS tape and to differentiate them from CD's.

I would think they would want to continue along those lines... perhaps an even slimmer case to make the distinction visually obvious. Or, using the current keepcases but cast in a bright blue plastic to denote a blu-ray disc is inside.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I hope they establish more of a consistency among releases and between studios.

Standard single sized amaray keepcase packaging and double-slim amarays, etc. for general releases and hopefully a standard cardboard box-set packaging to house these same discs for multi-set collections.

It would be nice to not have the assortment of digipack and cardboard snappers and deluxe oversized non consumer-friendly box sets, dozen different color keepcases, etc.

Wouldn't it be so much nicer to be able to simply line up EVERY SINGLE DVD you ever bought on your shelf display with convenient and good looking standard sized black or white keepcases so that you could essentially have a library of thousands of movies easily catalogued and neatly arranged at your disposal?

I highly doubt it'll ever happen but wouldn't that be nice!

I initially was attracted to the exclusive packaging offered on occassion for certain releases, but I not hate all of that. I even wish the studios would stop wasting money on pointless slip covers and put the extra cents towards enhancing the existing cover art or possibly adding an extra trailer or something to the DVD...

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
IMHO, all DVDs of whatever format should come in slimcases, allowing us to store more in the same space, and allowing the studios to sell us more to fill up our empty space.

It's a win-win solution!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Personally, I dont think there will ever be a unified packaging theme. Studios will continue to use whatever form they want. My guess is, they will be similar to current DVD packaging, but there will be inconsistent differences.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
If the next format is able to include everything on one disc, this may lead to a slimmer (read: cheaper) packaging style.

Similar to current TV slimcases, but with thicker plastic to prevent disc theft.

They might use case latches...hate those things.

I also suspect inserts/booklets are history.

If the cases are clear, however, you might get interior art/text/photos on the back of the cover slip.

I've already started 'scalping' DVD inserts/booklets since reissues tend not to have any.

This started with Animal House, Rain Man, Fifth Element, Star Trek SEs, and many others.

At this point, I hold on to everything till the reissue is out, then I decide what to trade in and what to carry over to the new release.

I'd like to think HD formats will provide better packaging, but who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks