What's new

Any word on Duke Nukem? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im really hoping for an X Box or Ps2 release of this.

I have fond memories of playing this at a friends house on his PC years ago.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Highly doubtful. It's just too old for a release. It would require a major overhaul.

Duke Nukem Forever (IfEver) is more likely, assuming it ever gets finished and/or released.

-Dave

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If you have a GBA, you could consider getting Duke Nukem Advance. I haven't played it, but I've heard good things about it.

Latest on DNF: the renderer was stripped out of the engine and replaced with an all new one after the 2001 E3 video was released. It's still not coming any time soon. :)

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Duke nukem forever.... hahahaha I think the development on this title has been more than most have been connected to the Internet.

Regards

Anthony

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It really hasn't been in development much longer than Half-Life 2 was. The difference is that Valve didn't have to start over a couple of times (like they did with the original Half-Life) and didn't make the mistake of announcing it years ago. I still think DNF can be a good game, and at least the new renderer will allow it to remain competitive (the only thing we know about it is it will fully support DirectX 9). The best thing they can do to end the joking and hard feelings is to release a good game. If the final product is a piece of junk, that'll be about the end for them and Duke.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The difference, for me anyway, is that Daikatana never had any promise. It sounded and looked like crap every step of the way. I don't think anyone can deny the potential behind DNF. Duke in Vegas. That just sounds like a fun game. And, the videos have both been pretty impressive.

As for Broussard, you ought to see his recent posts over on the 3D Realms forums. He knows his past boasting has made him a fool. He's very humble now. He gets upset when people try to make him say Duke will be the "best game EVAR!." :D

I'll jump out now. I know I'm a Duke fanboy (though, I only say it has potential. I don't say it will definitely live up to it), and that's a lonely thing to be right now. I've invested all these years in waiting for the game, and I guess that's part of it. I can only hope for the best, and fear the worst. I will say, in my defense, that I haven't actually been actively waiting for the game. I've had it backburnered for a long time, but I'll pop in to the 3DR forums every few months to see if there are any new bones to gnaw on.

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Well from the E3 vids I have seen in the past they could of released the game when it was using the Quake2 engine, then they would be up to another sequel now.

Duke Forever was announced around the time of Quake2. How many years ago was that ? at least 5

BTW unless I hear worst game ever reviews I will probably get it. I mean it would have to be worse than Daktania :) for me not to get it.

Regards

AXE

JohnE

Supporting Actor
They actually started working on it in 96. I don't have the link and don't feel like looking for it. I don't think it was officially announced until 97 though.

I personlly don't even think about it anymore. I hope it will be a good game when it comes out though, because after all this time I'm gonna buy it out of curiosity if nothing else.:D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Hey, they just have to wait another few years

"Duke Nukem Forever: 10th Anniversary Release Version!"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The retail version of Duke Nukem 3D was released in April of 1996, and work for the rest of that year by 3D Realms was divided between the Duke3D Plutonium Pak and Shadow Warrior. The original Quake wasn't even released until August of 1996, and 3D Realms licensed only the Quake II engine (Quake II came out at the end of '97). They didn't take possession of the Quake II engine until that game was finished, so the first work did actually begin in late '97 using the original Quake engine, but that was just "proof of concept" stuff that they foolishly allowed PC Gamer to cover feature in late '97. They began using the Quake II engine itself in either late '97 or early '98, and they had it up to a pretty impressive level by that year's E3 show. I've seen the backstage part of the demo (in really crappy shakycam video) they had that year, and it was pretty amazing for its time. That was where the jetskis were first shown, and Duke on the back of a boat. The video met with almost universal critical acclaim, and that was why it was all the more shocking when they announced they were dumping Q2 for the Unreal engine. They claimed the change would only set them back a couple of months, but they have since pretty much admitted they were fabricating and that they basically had to start over from scratch. Anyway, I don't remember exactly when the change happened, but the first screenshots were released in November of 99. There wasn't anything else released (aside from one additional screenshot in Dec '99) until the second E3 video in 2001, and that one met with further acclaim. It quieted some of the criticism, but that was because most people assumed the game was imminent at that point. Of course, now we find out that they ripped out the renderer and basically started over again at the beginning of 2002! They say that for the first time they have the tech nailed down and believe they are finally on track, but that particular revelation has turned even most diehards into skeptics. Despite my earlier show of support in this thread, I was pretty well affected by this news myself. It's hard to see the light at the end of this tunnel. The only thing I can go by is the fact that each time I've seen the game, I've been blown away by it. But, like I said, I can only hope for the best and fear the worst (which is a bit of a 3DR forum joke :) ). Things wouldn't have been easy for 3DR in any case after all this time and all the jokes, but it's going to be even harder in a post-Half-Life 2, post-S.T.A.L.K.E.R., post-Doom3 world.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Judging from what's available at Gamefaqs, it wasn't released on the Playstation. I guess your best bet other than the Gameboy game is to pick up the PC version. It should be pretty cheap, if you can find it. And if you can't find it, you can still order it from www.3drealms.com. Though, I bet you could find it cheaper in some bargain rack.

Also, I understand the base game doesn't work too well with XP, but it's open source now and there have been some ports to allow it to work. I think the ports have extended some of the engine's capabilities, but I haven't bothered to try any of them.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
There were several Duke Nukem games released on Playstation.
Time To Kill and Total Meltdown are the two I remember but I think there were more.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
I think there was Duke Nukem: Zero Hour for the PS1 as well, but man was that game God-awful.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Basically, with Duke Nukem Forever, all the 3D Realms keeps saying is that "it will be released when it is finished". Well, Max Payne took almost 4 yrs. to come out so we will probably see Duke Nukem Forever in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks