What's new

Any Word on a New "Signs" DVD (1 Viewer)

Dan-Voorhees

Auditioning
With M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" due out next month I was hoping that Signs could get a make over to equal that of the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Has any one heard any news or rumors?

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Aren't they all Vista Series releases now? Sounds pretty equal to me. I don't think there's anything to be gained by releasing a new one.

Unless they chopped off the awful last 10 minutes, and replaced it with something remotely resembling the preceeding brilliance.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
My sentiments exactly.

I think what Dan is alluding to is the desire to have a director's commentary. Unfortunately this is also the case with the other two Vista Series DVDs of Shyamalan's earlier films so I don't expect we will see a new DVD with commentary any time soon.

Interestingly enough these three DVDs are the only Vista Series releases that did not come with a commentary. A few directors have no interest in recording commentaries or even having someone else record one for their films, and perhaps Shyamalan is one of them?

Both Woody Allen and Clint Eastwood have been very outspoken in regards to stateing that they absolutley refuse to do a commentary track for any of their films, but at least Eastwood allowed his biographer Richard Schickle, a notable film critic, to record a commentary track for Warner's 2-Disc Special Edition release of Unforgiven. In the event Shyamalan isn't interested in recording a commentary track, perhaps one day he'll give the O.K. for others to record them for his films?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The problem with the Signs Vista disc is that it isn't all that special. It should of been 2 discs, as they had a TV promo special hosted by Shyamalan called "Signs Of Fear" that aired on ABC that could of been on there and isn't. I don't think their were any extended/deleted scenes either.

I never bought it as I keep hoping a proper special edition well come out. About the only neat thing on the disc is another clipof him as a kid making an alien movie. I wish more directors would thow these on as they are hilarious to watch:emoji_thumbsup:

David Galindo

Screenwriter
If it wasnt for the last 10 minutes, this movie would amount to pretty much nothing. Unless your a Christian (or something along that line), the ending doesnt work...which is why, I think, feelings on the movie were so mixed. It worked for me, which is why I think its Shyamalan's best :emoji_thumbsup:

The DVD is fine as it is...I wouldnt mind picking up a Superbit, though.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I think the ending had nothing to do with Christianity.

I could have lived without the scene of Mel putting back the Priest/Pastor suit. I think we all knew by the end that he "got it". yes there is a reason. and I think we ALL "got it" that he believes again. or rather never really stopped believing (the line when he is telling God he hates him while holding his son is by far one of the best scenes in a movie ever. I still break out in tears like a little girl). but the scene with him putting the cloth man uniform again was like a hammer over the head. Yes we get it.

However I am not bothered at him doing so, I am just insulted the director felt the need to show it. I did not take the whole events in the movie as proof that God existed or proof of a Christian God. there was "something" guiding events. that fact that to Mel's character it was proof of his faith was just interpretation.

If their Muslim neighbor had been there and lived through the events he may have believed Allah had a hand in it and a Ralien would have thought our alien creators had set it up to twart the attack of these other aliens.

just my thoughts.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Signs is a HORRIBLE Vista series DVD. Smart move, Buena Vista, compress the hell out of a dark movie. There's a reason the previous Vistas were two discs. Want to see what macro-blocking looks like? Pop in Signs and watch the walls toward the end of the film when they're waiting for the aliens.

My Philips 963 and my old Toshiba flagship show horrible artifacting. I think the Sony I used to have did too. Even my friend who knows nothing about DVD's or problematic transfers said "What's happening?". I think he thought it was part of the movie.

The very end of the film IS a little over-the-top, but then again so is Mel Gibson. I guess the ending suits the story though. I really liked this movie when I first saw it, but on repeat viewings Mel becomes a bit too much to take. I would have rather Shamy had gone with Bruce Willis again or maybe used Kurt Russel or perhaps Dennis Quaid.

I just always see Mad Mel breaking out; that or in the case of this movie there are some times it really feels like "ooh, he's ACTING."

I doubt we'll see a re-issue anytime soon. Will probably have to wait for HD.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I agree Grant. I thought the transfer was for the most part terrible. Some of the walls in the main house are just alive and at times look to be melting. Pathetic.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I thought Signs was one of the best movies of 2002. A dts track would have been nice though for the dvd. With the huge success of Gipson's Passion Of The Christ I expect/hope that this will get a nice re-do.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan

I 100% agree with you Tim; a two disc special edition to match the other two films would be very nice.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Lets hope that the disney folks get a clue. I never bought this because of the reviews saying it had a crummy transfer. Lets hope they make it a REAL Vista Series release, not its deformed bastard child. I'm all for a re-do

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Commercially though, surely there's no NEW audience out there that would warrant the money needed for a new release and transfer?

Oh, and the region 2 version has DTS, i'm pretty sure. (For the guy who posted about it earlier) I think its also a 2 disc affair, but this has more to do with space needed for languages and subtitles. And the DTS track, I guess.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The UK Region 2 has DTS, and was not a two disc. And I placed Signs high on my Best of List of 2002. Brilliant suspense movie, and storytelling above story.

I'm underqualified to make notes about the transfer, though. Didn't seem to have too many problems.

Dan-Voorhees

Auditioning
The release of "The Village" could generate some interest. A feature ridden DVD with nice packaging ala Sixth Sense (which was reissued)with M Night's name plastered on the face sticker would do well in my opinion. A better film transfer would sell it as well. Nils, you are correct, I would be overjoyed to get a director commentary on Signs along with a little more to go along with this great film. I am a huge fan of M Night's films and would like to see the best on all of his DVD releases, I did not think I got that with Signs.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
For M. Night, sound is considered to be a very important element in his films.

I would love to see a DVD version of Signs benefiting from a dts track and an isolated music track. James Newton Howard's music for this film is a major highlight for me.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman

I have to disagree. In my opinion, the end of this movie really parallels the Judeo/Christian belief that God uses our weaknesses (asthma, free-swinging, and the compulsion to constantly have fresh water) as strengths. I love the constantly building tension, but when all of these weaknesses are used as strengths at the end, I just get goosebumps everytime.

Rolando

Screenwriter
hmm interesting Brent. I was unaware of that belief that God uses our weaknesses as strengths. will have to look into that.

Of course it was just my opinion that it is not a "Christian" movie. For all I know M. Night intended it as such and maybe Mel accepted the role for that reason.

I however believe it is not limited to that. At the risk of repeating myself (not that I think people did not get me, I know you guys did I just like repeating), I think it had an element of fate but I think it could relate to any belief. I believe the events happened to Christians which is why it reinforced their Christian beliefs but had it happen to Jews, Muslims or another belief system it would have reinforced THEIR belief as opposed to converting them to Christianism.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I am utterly atheist myself, and more often than not religiousness lights up all my red flags and warnings. But for some reason I am not sure about, I enjoyed SIGNS nonetheless, and was not that much bothered by its end.

But yes, it is clearly a parable on FAITH, and specially on catholic faith (isn't that what SIXTH SENSE and UNBREAKABLE were at their core?). And though I can understand how the last minutes would make many people puke –I should be one of those!– the whole movie is conceived around and built up towards that conclusion, and anything else would be nothing but a cop out and a betrayal to what the movie set out to do in the first place.

Rolando

Screenwriter
not sure I agree with you the first 2 were Christian at the core. as a matter of fact most Christians I know did not like sixth sense because the thought of seeing dead people
was not Christian.

Funny how I don't feel that the possibility of those movies' subjects ever being "real" contradict Christian faith yet most devout Christians tell me they dislike them again because their subject cannot be real as God would not allow them.

funny.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the transfer, it seems most Vista DVDs look less than optimal. Too bad they can't learn from Warner or New Line on how to make a nice looking DVD...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks