What's new

Any way to see if a DVD-ROM drive is multi region? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
It may be a silly question, but how do I know if my DVD-Rom drive is multi region? Is there a way to check?

Thank ya!

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
If you're a Windows 2000 or XP user, open System Properties (Start -> Control Panel -> System). Choose the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button. Click the plus sign next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives then right-click on the DVD drive name. Choose Properties from the context menu that opens and check the region code setting on the DVD Region tab.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I have XP Home w/ SP2, and when I just tried this there was no DVD region tab. I know there used to be one, so perhaps this was removed by SP2. (Either that, or something strange just happened to my computer.)

Anyway, I seem to remember that Windows would say your drive was set to a certain region even if it was region free.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
Any DVD-ROM drive can (or at least *should* be able to) be set to any region. The issue isn't so much changing it as it is the number of changes. When you first get a new drive, I think you get something like 6-8 chances to change to a different region. Beyond that, you're stuck with whichever one you changed to last ... (without some kind of firmware/software hack - which would be different for each make/model of DVD-ROM)

Bryan

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Get Drive Info (under 10K!), and not only do you know what region your drive is set too (if at all) and how many changes you have left, but also what the version of your firmware is. Very handy.

-Christian

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks guys, I find it odd that it can only be changed a certain number of times, but I guess that's technology for ya

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, it's a business decision (to limit the drives ability to change regions); a limitation agreed to by companies but not by any countries. That limitation is sometimes mistaken as being being a limitation imposed by a law, but that is not so.

Simply run this...

http://www.dvdidle.com/de/dvd-region-free.htm

...and you'll be free trade compliant.

There are other ways to change one's drive to be region free, but ways involving changing the drive's firmware run afoul of the Digital Millenium Copywright crap, and can't be discussed here. And anyway that's not needed when there are programs like the above available.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
With programs like DVD Region-Free, AnyDVD, and DVD Idle, there's usually no need to mess with region-free firmwares. They also allow you to skip FBI warnings and stuff like that. Try 'em out.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah... I know it wasn't really a legal issue ... just didn't want to get too deep into the discussion of region coding/hacking .... :)

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks