What's new

Any way to get portable audio through FM? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Is there any way to get sound from my Portable minidisc player to my factory car stereo using FM modulation or something like that? I don't care about "fidelity", the contents of my MiniDiscs are lectures. I would much rather not buy a new headunit for just an aux input but if that's the only answer then so be it.

Sathyan

Second Unit
Yes, you can do it with FM modulation (or that cassette tape adapter). I've seen these at RadioShack for about $30.

Obviously, there will be sound degradation.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Philip:

Just to be certain you know, there's a difference between an FM modulator and an FM transmitter.

The modulator needs to be connected between your antenna and your head unit, and will allow you to play your portable player over an FM station. A transmitter does the same thing, but it connects to your portable player and literally transmits a signal to an FM station in your head unit. Modulators usually produce a stronger signal than transmitters, but they do require installation (modulators are also used for satellite radio and aftermarket CD changers). Transmitters are convenient, but many produce a weak signal with poor stereo separation; often inferior to FM radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks