What's new

Any tips, hints, advice on speed reading? (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
My guess is that a software program must exist to teach speed reading. I thought I had seen something like that some time ago but I really don't recall where. Anyway, I'd look in that direction.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It's just my opinion, but I think speed reading is bunk. I'm not saying some people can't read faster than others or that you can't learn to read somewhat faster, but those commercials where someone is reading a page in two seconds are BS.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
As best I can tell, the trick to speed reading is to read sentences, not words. Your brain doesn't think in words but ideas, and it can have information input in the same way. So the idea is to train yourself to read sentences into fully formed ideas without having to read each individual work to put them together. One thign I find that helps is to use your finger or a pencil or something like that to trace across the words. Move at a pretty good speed, it forces your brain to concentrate on groups of words rather then individual ones.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't speed reading make it difficult to appreciate works of literature though?

I'm pretty sure it would be very handy reading blogs though...most of that stuff is junk anyways. :)

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Jason,
Sent you an email.

Doesn't speed reading make it difficult to appreciate works of literature though?
Absolutely. If I read a great sentence, paragraph or idea, I'm likely to go back a read it several times.

I wouldn't want to zip past something important, so I'm thinking I'll get a few junk novels to practice on.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'm a pretty slow reader, by nature.

However, I did take a class on speed reading and have learned to read really fast. The problem? I don't remember a thing I read. I'd rather read slow and comprehend than read fast and have it exit my brain before I reach the end of the page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks