What's new

Any suggestions for blocking light? (1 Viewer)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I have a 57"rptv and it has a little glare on it during daytime hours. My problem is I have some of the 2" thick blinds that look really nice but is there anything I can put behind them to block light while watching movies? What would fit behind them? Would the blackout shades at home depot fit. I haven't seen them just read about them. Any help would be apreciated. David

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you have the protective cover on your RPTV screen. If you're brave enough, you could remove the protective screen and that'll reduce reflections.

I have a cover on mine, however, I'm waiting for my son to be taller than the TV before I remove it. :)

As far as the blinds go... Depending how they are mounted.. you could probably mount an old fasioned pull down shade behind the blinds inside the frame and that'll block a lot of light and you would hardly notice the roller shade behind the blinds. You can find roller-type shades that can be adjusted width wise for pretty cheap.

Let us know what you figure out.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I was hoping to put a shade behind it but wasn't sure how it will work. I will let you know when its done it might be a few weeks though. Thanks

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I used curtain blackout fabric behind my non-lined curtains.
I'm not sure how you could put blackout fabric behind blinds.
What about putting those temporary blackout blinds behind your real blinds?

Pam W

Stunt Coordinator
From an aesthetic standpoint, curtains (or blackout lined curtains in this case) would look fine in front of the blinds as a layered look. Places like JC Penney and Sears carry these. I think it would be too bulky and look too bulky to put blinds with blinds, IMO. I hope I haven't muddied the water too much for you...

Pam

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Doh!
I never thought about putting the curtains in front of the blinds.
Guess what.
That's how my window is setup.
Doh!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
About how much do the curtains cost? I just need two small ones one for the door with windows and another small curtain. Thanks

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Does it work, yes check this out:

This is the black out blind half pulled down. I'm in the process of making black out curtains as well...but you can see what just the blinds do on a VERY bright day!

E

T r o y

Supporting Actor
David,

Hey! I special ordered a black roller shade 100% opaque fabric. no light shines through it. From Homedepot.

I have a custom fabric window treatment that goes around the window to keep light from seeping in from the sides.

It does a great job of keeping light from entering the room.
Which is so critical since I have a front projection setup.

Good luck!
Troy

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
my cheap solution to this problem was to cut some cardboard pieces that fit the window perfectly. Then I let the wife pick out some fabric she liked to compliment the decor. put some batting on the cardboard and coverd them in the fabric. I can now slide these little pieces behind the blinds whenever I need more light control- blocks all the light. Since my wife picked out the fabric and likes it well enough, the blockers stay up most of the time. When we want sunlight we just pull them out and slide them behind the sofa.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I think I'll visit Home Depot today to see them in person and then order them online to save a little money. I like the idea about the cardboard. I bet it looks unique when its behind the blinds. Thanks everybody. David

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I went to Home Depot today and got one of the cheap blackout blinds. Its a temporary kind it was only $5. It can be put up when I watch movies during the day. It kinda looks weird but better than glare on the TV. I will be doing something in the future than will be better. Thanks everybody.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
You could always put real blinds in front of the temporary blinds.
That would give you double the protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks