What's new

Any reviews for Doctor Who S3? (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
I know the third series comes out today in R2, but is "Doctor Who" once again coming with the full, unedited UK broadcasts and with no music changes? Will the 5.1 mix also be a non-issue like series two?

It's been a tough decision in deciding whether or not to purchase this season as the only episodes I truly enjoyed were "Human Nature", "The Family of Blood", and "Blink". What does everyone else think of S3?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
For me, the seasons keep improving. This one's a no-brainer for me. I'm actually looking forward to Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures on DVD. I didn't expect to like the SJA series as it was directed at kids, but with two episodes left in it, I'm doing that whole "waiting impatiently for next week's episode" thing.

LCD22

Screenwriter
What's this I've been hearing about the R2 audio commentary for "Last of the Time Lords" with David Tennant, Freema Agyeman, and John Barrowman being dropped from the R1 release? Instead we get commentary by Russell T. Davies, Julie Gardner, and Phil Collinson, which is a podcast on the official Doctor Who website? Please tell me they're rectifying this.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
There is speculation that because John Barrowman breaks into song during the commentary, the music couldn't be cleared and the old track was substituted.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
If so, it's disappointing, but a minor change. They apparently omit a "One Year Later" caption from the final scene. While disappointing, it's not too serious, since the scene very clearly takes place some time later, and the fact of it being "one year later" is not too pivotal.

Now, if they had cut the other "One Year Later" caption from a different episode in this season, that would have been a problem.

LCD22

Screenwriter

"The Christmas Invasion" is on the second series set. Did you mean the Series 3 Christmas special "The Runaway Bride"? If so, it's on this set.

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
The following was posted on one of the customer discussion lists on Amazon:

"Eric D. Williams says:
I have the British version of season 3 and the deletion of the commentary is NOT due to a music rights issue, but the comments John Barrowman says about president Bush. Around 38:00 after time has been replaced to just moments after the president is killed, Freema asks, "is the American president is still dead?" and David confirms the question by saying, "The Amerian president is still dead." John says, "Oh well" and David and John start giggling and laughing. John then says, "Oh dang it wasn't real? We better be careful about what we say or we may not be able to travel," and they giggle some more. Then David says that, "This scene was recorded in August of 2007 just in case your watching this in the future and there is somebody marvelous in office." The three of them start laughing and John jumps in and says, "not like the idiot who is in there now," and they continue to laugh. John states, "not that David and I are political in any way" and the subject is dropped and they continue to discuss the scene at hand."

Season 3 was just released in Australia and I can confirm that the commentary track with Tennant, Freema and Barrowman is included on the Region 4 release (although I only heard the start of it so far). So the omission on the US release is not likely to be music related - it would appear that Eric's theory may be correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks