What's new

Any "Return of the Living Dead 3" DVD reviews yet? (1 Viewer)

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I don't for a second believe that Trimark doesn't have the rights to the unrated cut. They have their heads on backwards over there, that's for sure.
Trimark owns the film, they were the ones that paid to film and produce it back in the early 90's. How can they not own all the footage to it?
An unrated laserdisc and VHS were released from Trimark back in the early 90's. I realize that even movie studios can lose to the rights to certain films, but I don't believe it the case here. If Trimark doesn't own the rights, who does?
------------------
David W. Anderson - [email protected]
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Maybe this might give us an idea....
When Trimark released the unrated version on VHS, it was a couple of years ago. Now that they're owned by Lions Gate Entertainment....well, that might be the problem right there. What I don't know but when ownership switches hands, problems can arise.
MaxY, the editing of RotLD3 does not, IMO, ruin the flow/narrative/plot/story of the movie. They were all just seconds of unecessary gore (poorly done FX to boot) that added absolutely nothing to the film. Maybe horror nuts get PO'd because they get deprived of a little blood but the film is really about a tragic love story, not lips being torn off or cops getting their eyes pierced by a crowbar.
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Will K

Screenwriter
I got a response from Trimark when I posed the question as to who owns the uncut version. Here is their cryptic response:
"Don't know if they even sold them."
confused.gif

That's it. That's all they said. I have no idea what that means and maybe they don't either!

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
MaxY, the editing of RotLD3 does not, IMO, ruin the flow/narrative/plot/story of the movie. They were all just seconds of unecessary gore (poorly done FX to boot) that added absolutely nothing to the film.
So you don't care if the director's original vision is compromised? These cuts were made because of the MPAA, not because the director wanted them.
You won't mind when Speilberg releases an edition version of ET where the soldiers don't point guns at kids?
I do. If there is an uncut version available, especially one that has already been released, that's the version I want.
------------------

M

MaxY

Michael,
I was under the impression that in the case of this moive that thought gore was cut the cut gore actually involced sight gags that did not come off as well thanks to the cuts. I could be wrong.
No matter what I hate when things get cut up to appease the MPAA and get the R rating. I hate that the MPAA does not grade evenly for every one or at times even rationally.
I don't wanted Edited crap I want what the director wanted the show me. I like it when they push it a little to far. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Max, nah, the cuts had nothing to do with important plot points, etc. Unless you consider a few seconds of a guy's lip being ripped off contributing to the storyline. :)
and Dave, let's not compare a low budget zombie film to Spielberg. Yes, I *fully* understand where you're coming from regarding editing films but geez, it's not like whole chunks of the film were tossed out in the garbage here. It's a few extra seconds here and there. A crowbar in the eye or a few extra stabs in the back do not a movie make. I feel the R version (which is quite gory in it's own right) stands VERY well on it's own.
The cuts do not in any way detract from the story itself. I think some of you aren't seeing that. "Unrated" does not necessarily mean "better".
Anyway, wasn't RotLD3 a direct to video release? What would the MPAA have to do with the edits? Wouldn't Blockbuster be the more likely reason for the (minor) cuts?
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
lol ok,well the movie was meant to be gory. If you haven't payed attention to other reviews-the cuts hurt the impact a scene has!!!
Why do people always go on about it doesn't hurt the plot ect? It's just violence and is part of the movie & supposed to be shocking,outragous ect & get some type of reaction from you. Yet when it's cut heavily,the viseral impact is lost.
Sure the R version isn't "that" bad,but a few scenes such as with the cop were heavily cut.
& btw-as for the mention of fakey F/x- most of the censored F/X where the best & not that fake looking,while some of the stuff left in where very rubbery looking. Such as that Belial looking zombie after Julies revived.
It's a B movie,so i don't mind some cheesy F/X-but i can't stand censorship...though the R version is ok,but the Unrated is the way the movies intended to be seen.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
The director makes numerous statements like this throughout the commentary track - "And here is another scene where we had to make cuts becaues of the MPAA."
No idea if it got a theatrical release.
Since I consider most horror movies to be better than Speilberg movies, I'll absolutely make the comparison. :)
Lets remember, horror movies aren't usually about PLOT! People watch something like ROTLD to see zombies and gore, and the fact is, several gore scenes are cut in the R rated version. Just listen to the commentary tracks for proof of that.
------------------

Julie K

Screenwriter
unecessary gore
Absolutely untrue (and I just can't seem to hold both of those words in my head at the same time
wink.gif
). While ROTLD 3 may have a tragic romance subplot, it's primarily a zombie movie. A key aspect of zombie movies is gore. Just as one should not remove music from a musical, one should not remove gore from a zombie movie.
I'm buying the uncut R2 disc instead of this mess.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Julie K

Screenwriter
Max,
I've got a Sampo 620, but like the Apex and Raite it won't do PAL to NTSC conversion at the same time as anamorphic down-conversion, but then you don't need to worry about that last one, do you? :)
I'm giving serious thoughts to replacing the Sampo with the Malata. It looks like it does everything right. There was a thread about it here
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks