What's new

Any "Return of the Living Dead 3" DVD reviews yet? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've wondered about this for awhile now. Why is everyone so excited about 'ROTLD3' when the superior original hasn't been released yet? Just curious.
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Because it's a good movie in its own right.
I've had it a week now, but I haven't yet watched it. I'm not a reviewer anyway. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Someone mentioned a cut scene in which a cop gets spiked through the head with a crowbar. I checked it out last night, and it's actually a really bad cut. The zombie lunges towards him with the crowbar, and it cuts to their legs! It then shows them on the ground, with the zombie sitting on the now-dead cop. No telling what he's doing, though, because the shot is just from the waist down. They do later show the cop's exposed brain, but the scene really is killed by the cuts.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on August 23, 2001 at 12:01 PM]

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Yes that scenes badly cut among a few other scenes which is why i don't like the R version.
I just found the unrated version on video & Sam Goody for $10! So i'll stick with that for now & will watch it soon since i haven't see it in a long time.

M

MaxY

Well I just got this one this afternoon and am sickened to hear about these cuts.
frown.gif

Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Will K

Screenwriter
I emailed Trimark and asked them why only the R-rated version was released. They replied and told me that they have distribution rights for the R cut only. It's annoying but apparently they had no choice in the matter. I did reply back and asked them who does hold the uncut rights. We'll see if they respond.
------------------
unratedbanner.JPG

"We'd better not risk a frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur 93.2 AD

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I've said right from the get-go that Trimark didn't have the rights to the unrated cut. Hell, nobody believed me when I said the DVD would be rated R.
What does it take for people to believe ya? Geez louise.....
Anyway, I could really care less that a few minutes were cut. The R version is gory enough as it is. You guys are acting like entire scenes were removed. Let's face it, does a shot of a crowbar though an eye *really* add to the film? Some of those cuts were of fairly laughable FX to begin with.
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Interesting note to add here.
I was looking forward to reading DVDFile's review of this disc but when I asked the editor when they'd post it, I was informed that Trimark no longer sends them screeners because of a negative review they gave to "Jesus's Son".
Isn't that petty?
------------------

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the movie on video tonight & as for the cop scene.......
They show the crowbar rammed through his eye,blood flies,gun goes off hitting the zombie in the legs as he's shoved down to the ground twitching. Theres some brain munching & you see a chunk fall out of his mouth landing on the cops face where you can see one eye blink(blooper).
As for the i could careless if it's missing a few minutes of gore comment.Well as with this scene....the cuts hurt the impact of it making it very incoherent instead of powerful & shocking. + censorship is wrong anyway & can really damage scenes(or whole movies though mostly scenes) which is why we're upset that the unrated version wasn't released. If they don't have the rights to it,then get the rights back first,then release the movie in it's proper form.
Still the movie is tolerable(for the most part) in R rated form,aside from a few really bad cuts. Though I prefer the unrated version.
Also try watching the R rated version of Dead/Alive & see if you will still think "gee the 12 minutes of missing gore(all the gore in the movie btw,every litle drop of blood) doesn't hurt the film at all!"
+ the violence in Dead/Alive is comic & is a very important part of the movie. So try seeing it with all of it completly cut out & see why censorship is wrong & can badly damage a film.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
quote: Hell, nobody believed me when I said the DVD would be rated R.[/quote]You've said this in several ROTLD3 threads. Plenty of people believed you, and you were far from the only HTF member to receive an e-mail along the same lines from Lion's Gate. What had a few of us, myself included, waiting for the final product to fall into the hands of a reviewer is that the DVD was solicited the disc to retailers as 'Unrated', not 'R'. Despite being as pessimistic as I generally am, I was hoping some misinformed person was responding to e-mails at Lion's Gate.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site
[Edited last by Adam Tyner on August 25, 2001 at 08:28 AM]

Will K

Screenwriter
I suppose that it's not a big deal to some people, but I have a hard time watching a film I know has been cut. I like ROTLD3, but I don't enjoy the R-rated cut, therefore I didn't buy the DVD. It's like macaroni without the cheese or Laverne without Shirley; if parts of it are removed, it's just not the same.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam, I'm quite sure other people got messages from Trimark but I was the first one to post the info at HTF, DVDTalk, etc. Heck, I don't recall seeing the R rated info *anywhere* before I posted it. I even corrected DVDFile.com.
and yes I'm patting myself on the back. *laff*
------------------

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Also try watching the R rated version of Dead/Alive & see if you will still think "gee the 12 minutes of missing gore(all the gore in the movie btw,every litle drop of blood) doesn't hurt the film at all!"
This is two different things...
Return of the Living Dead 3 has only a minute of violent footage edited. It's a shame that Lions Gate only has the rights to the R cut, but hey, what can you do?
Dead-Alive, as you said, has 12 minutes of violent footage edited, and luckilly Trimark released the Unrated cut to DVD.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I know it's two different things & it was just an example of how censorship(big or small) can hurt a scene or scenes.
...and i did say the R version of ROTLD 3 was tolerable whereas Dead/Alive is un-watchable in R form.

M

MaxY

Ok When Editing destroys the humor or kills the joke of a seen then it is a big deal no matter what if it only amounts to seconds or mins in the total running time of the movie.
What is hard to understand about that. It is not something to be overlooked when a scene gets set up to do certain things and you kind of miss it because someone took a razor to the movie.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks