Any recourse against false specs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I wanted a small 15 inch LCD 1024x768 monitor to double as a bedside TV and Computer monitor...

I did a load of research, created a spreadsheet to compare the various models and features. There were 3 "must have" features in my list: PC resolution of 1024x768, Can sync to HD resolutions of 720p and 1080i, and has aspect ratio control (anamorphic squeeze).

So, after catalogging 30+ sets- I chose a Zenith model which met mey needs. I ordered it online and received it yesterday.

No aspect control.

I checked the manual. I double checked my spreadsheet. I went back to the Zenith website, and sure enough the specs clearly says aspect ratio control with 3 modes.

I email Zenith. They take no responsibility for information on ther website. The etailer will not accept returns due to incorrect manufacturer specs (and I honestly can't say I blame them)... however Zenith also refuses to exchange for a different model.

Is there any recourse? I mean, it's not like i just ran out and bought something on the fly- I spent a month researching and checking specs before spending my money. Now I'm stuck with something I can't use simply because i read the OFFICIAL ZENITH website.

Ugh.

-V

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

That really stinks Vince. Maybe one of the attorneys can opine on whether you can take Zenith to small claims court. What about an exchange with the etailer? If you got something more expensive maybe they would go for it.

3. Greg.R

Greg.R Extra

See if your local District Attorney's office has a department of consume protecton, or something similar. When most companies get a call from a DA, even a local one, they tend to become more flexible.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Baring that, threaten to sue. I wouldn't let something like that go, it's absolutely ridiculous.
    This sort of stuff just infuriates me. They are not responsible for their own fucking mistake? I don't care if the website was outsourced, Zenith, as the customer to the people who built the website is responsible for making sure the information is correct.

--
    H

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Frankly I am not surprised. Having sold Mid/High level AV gear for over four years I have encountered several manufactuer web sites with incorrect information. It never fails to amaze when a customer builds a cabinet for a specific televsion only to find that the web site was wrong by two inches. I digress.

It is obvious to me that you do have recourse. Simply contact Zenith and explain that an authorized dealer is not allowing the return of their product. That should clear things up.

Of course, if you didn't buy from an authorized dealer then I have very little sympathy. I don't begrude you trying to save a little money. The authorized channels exist for many reasons and this is just one of them.

The best of luck to you and I truly hope everything works out.

-Dave

7. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

What model Zenith did you get?

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Z15LA7R

And the specs on the website are still wrong, I doubt it will change for months, if ever.

9. ted*

ted* Agent

Thats bogus!

I would purse and force the issue for principle.
    Let us know what path you choose on this and results.

10. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

You might mention to Zenith and the Etailer that as a discussion forum administrator of a home theater website with an average of xx # daily visitors this topic and the lack of vendor support will certainly be discussed on the site. May as well do what you can to let Zenith know you are giving them their richly earned support [​IMG]

I know I'd be P.O.'d about the discrepancy.
    But . . .
    It's still buyer beware when buying products unseen. Sounds like one of those learn from it things. Unfortunately a lot of resellers and most Mfr's websites have a "we are not responsible for errors" and can not be held accountable for errors disclaimers buried somewhere in the fine print on their websites. Shopping online gives all of us access to products that you might not be able to find locally . . .

A few phone calls to a few different online / B&M resellers to verify the accuracy of the product information - and the return / exchange policies of your chosen reseller might have saved you a headache. Still depends on the resellers - honestly verifying that the monitor did what you wanted and had been honest about returns or they could have told you any thing just want to make a sale. I always tried to be honest with my customers ( ex B&M mid-fi sales ) but you do see a lot of the "say anything" to make the sale since volume sales = profits to most electronics retailers / salesmen.

Hope you are able to reach a satisifactory resolution to the issue. Might take a whole lot of complaining to Zenith or the retailer but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call - always ask for a supervisor if you do not hear what you want - keep going up !
    Hell ! You have already paid for their mistake, now it's costing you time.

11. MarkN

MarkN Stunt Coordinator

If you used a credit card, send it back to the etailer w/ delivery confirmation and signature required.

Then simply dispute the charge. Instructions are on back of your monthly statement. Easy as pie once you have proof that it was returned.

12. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Vince:

Call your credit card company and tell them you are wanting to return the item for your money back, that you have tried dealing with the manufacturer and the etailer with no luck. Tell them you situation and that you would like for them to do a charge back to the etailer and return the unit. Then let your credit card company talk to the etailer and the manufacturer. If that doesn't work then mail (not email) the CEO at Zenith and let him know about your situation. I have found that if you send a letter to the main guy you will usually get a call in a couple of days were you will be in contact with the people that will rectify the situation. Call Zenith and get the name of the CEO and the mailing address of the company and shoot him off a letter.

Parker