What's new

Any reason NOT to put STB, DVD, ReplayTV on top of RPTV? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

In order to avoid the timing and other difficulties with 50' long component video runs, I've decided to put my Sony HD100 STB, my Pani RP91 DVD Player and my Replay TV unit in the front of my room. However, with the arrival of my new RPTV, I will no longer have any room on the floor in the front of my HT. I have already decided that placing the center speaker on the ground, in front of the TV, greatly improves its' sound, so that's where my center channel is gonna stay. That leaves the top of my new RPTV free. It is 60 inches wide, so I can fit all three of these units, side by side, on top of the set. This location will also give these units the air they need to keep cool.
Is there any reason why I should not put them up there?
Will the cables running down the back of the set cause any type of interference with the picture?
Do other folks actually have their STB (set top box) on top of their TVs?
Thanks for the help!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

J

John Morris

Scott: Why didn't I think of that! Ugh... that would bother me. Maybe I should have opted for the smaller 53" RPTV? NAHHHHHHHHHH! :) I wonder if the Pani RP91 has a display off option in its' menu?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
If your okay with it then you could always using small pieces of black electrical tape. Has done wonders for my system. I only see one small red light for my volume and everything else is covered.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
ReplayTV, DVD Player, VCR, Receiver and Center Channel speaker all in a home-made rack sitting on top of my 50" Tosh RPTV. I'm waiting for it to collapse one day but so far 8 months of stability. The LCD's don't bother or distract me at all. Maybe the backlight helps?
Pete

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
As long as your RPTV has ample construction (won't sag from the weight) it beats using a rack. I like having the gear up high for looks and easy access.
Wish I realized this prior to purchasing my gear because a 64" would've worked out. I stuck with a 58" thinking a rack was the way to go. Live & learn.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
quote: I wonder if the Pani RP91 has a display off option in its' menu?[/quote]
I believe you can only dim the display on the RP-91. I have mine set that way, but my components are in an equipment rack off to the side on the TV. The lights only become distracting if they are very bright. I placed electrical tape over the obnoxious lights on my Monster Power 2500 surge supressor for this reason.
I have a powered indoor Radio Shack antenna on top of my 56-inch 16x9 TV (actually, on top of my center speaker, which is on top of the TV). The unit has a bright red power light that I find distracting if I forget to turn it off before watching a movie. The antenna is only used for receiving HDTV broadcasts, but I sometimes forget to turn it off.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on October 23, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

J

John Morris

quote: I like having the gear up high for looks and easy access.[/quote]
I'm wondering about that too? My three components are black(ReplayTV), Silver(Sony HD100) and Goldish(Pani RP91). If at least if two of them were the same color, I could sandwich the odd colored one in the middle....
rolleyes.gif

As for the easy access, that is a real benefit. Right now, only the Replay unit is on the floor and you have to aim the remote just right to make it work. On the top of the RPTV, it will be much easier to use.
I also have a spare Lovan rack that has been being used to store unused components in my office. I may split it and place them behind my front speakers if I can keep them low enough to not interfere with the rear firing drivers. Then again, I may have to use an IR repeater to use them in that location.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on October 23, 2001 at 10:43 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks