What's new

Any profound regrets? (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
If I had stuck with my computer science degree instead of getting frustrated by the math, I would have emerged into the late 80s with a much more useful skill set. Also, I wouldn't have met a girl I used to regret NOT pursuing more persistently.

If only I had seen the internet coming.

Of course, if I had, today I could be a failed dot-com entrepreneur living with parents and wondering why I didn't get a degree in the humanities.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
To me, the interesting part of this topic has to do with what people consider to be a "profound" regret as opposed to a regular(?) regret and the different ways that we deal with them. At least with respect to personal and life altering decisions. But I would like to think that any member here who seriously injured any person, intentionally or otherwise, would certainly and profoundly regret it. I know I would.

How about that guy in Pacific Grove Ca. (a cute little place, btw) circa 1980 who wasn't home when the suits from IBM came knocking looking for an operating system. So off to Seattle they went. Talk about a profound regret. I've always wondered where he was.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It was the president of the little company that brought out "Dr. Dos" (I'm not sure if that was the actual name then). He went golfing. He believed that would make him look more interesting. The second-in-command was there, but as it turned out, the IBM delegation was not amused.

Mrs. Gates, mother of a guy who had started another, even smaller, software company, heard this story the same evening during a bridge game. She suggested contacting her son. The man in charge of the project at IBM, still boiling, liked the idea.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks