What's new

Any plans for Burton to make a sequel to Planet of the Apes? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I kinda liked the musical, but now that Troy McClure is no longer with us, I really can't see it being filmed in its entirety. ;)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Burton should stick to his own quirky movie plots and stories and stay the hell clear of established icons and classics. Burton in that area just tends to produce an incoherent mess much like his audio commentary on POTA.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really enjoyed the Burton's re-imagination :) of PoTA, and was hoping for a sequel, if only to bring some meaning to the ending.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I liked Burton's vision, and am aware there were problems with the studio on it. I prefer he steers clear and does his own works unless he gets full control.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Well to be fair, this was one of Danny's best scores of late. In my opinion.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No matter what Burton says, it's a remake. He said "Batman Returns" wasn't a sequel, too, but that's because he was in denial over the fact that he's directed a sequel and a remake. Many concepts that originated in the original film were used in Burton's remake, and the original film's screenwriters (Michael Wilson and Rod Serling) were credited in Burton's remake. The FACT is that it's a remake. To say otherwise is nothing more than a semantics arguement.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
By today's standards, a 100 million dollar movie making 180 million would be an unqualified success. However, I think the movie suffers from more then backlash at this pointit's nearly forgotten. I can't imagine Fox starting production on a movie that was not really beloved, and would be too late even if it was. Especially since the studio doesn't usher sequels lightly.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I don't really see what's so confusing about the ending, aside from one rather huge "coincidence" that would have to occur for it to come about the ending makes perfect sense.

Dave Kalloch

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone read the book written in 1963 by Pierre Boulle? Burton's ending comes closer than the 1968 version.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Why? The first remake was so horribly bad that I could sit though another one. Even Burton distanced himself from it didnt he?

I can honestly say I have seen all of Burtons stuff and I love his work but this was his worst in my opinion. It wasnt interesting, it wasnt fun and I was just plain bored.
If anyone ruined it, it was the studio not Burton. From what I have read they wouldnt leave him alone, didnt want a human and an ape kissing etc.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the POTA remake was okay, not nearly as good as the original, but okay. So I'd like to see a sequel.

BTW, H2G2 has a pretty good synopsis of Pierre Boulle's Monkey Planet novel that was the source for both versions of POTA - it's interesting to see the differences in the story from either movie version:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A641990

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I thought the ending was just fine, and Dave's right, it is basically taken right from the original novel.

I thought the remake was OK, but nothing memorable. The original movies are far better. I did like some of the new makeups, but the female chimp was terrible. It looked like a former pop star who is in trouble with the law...

I wouldn't mind a sequel, but a better script would help.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"By today's standards, a 100 million dollar movie making 180 million would be an unqualified success."

If you mean a world where banks eagerly give huge loans to people with bad credit to buy McMansions, then maybe. However, remember that the studio only gets half of the box office, so that 180 is really 90. Worldwide it did 358 mil, so they got 179 total. Who knows how much they spent on prints and advertising. The rule of thumb is what? two and a half times the budget to break even? So the theatrical run was not a roaring success. But with toys and DVDs and Happy Meals, they may have gotten out of the red.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
As a lifelong fan of the original Apes series (the less said about Burton's abomination the better) I have been aching to see the series revisited properly. But unless this is a late April Fool's joke, this sounds like another miss to me.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
So let me see if I understand this.

If you watch the Planet of the Apes films currently:Three apes time travel from the end of the world back to the 1970s, and their son leads the revolt that leads to the planet of the apes, so the entire series forms one big circle.

But should this film be made: The planet of the apes is caused by the revolt at some point in the 21st century. When the three apes escape from the end of the world, they travel back earlier than the initial revolt, causing a revolt to happen (but in a different manner) leading to the same end result.

I've always liked the circularity of the series, even if it is based around an impossible paradox. But the new film would offer a logical solution to a problem.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, I personally have never felt that ESCAPE, CONQUEST, and BATTLE lead directly to the events of the original film. Fans of the series have all sorts of differing views on the chronology.

I think PLANET and BENEATH are our own timeline, our future. Once the apes return to Earth in 1973, it's not our past of 35 years ago, but rather an alternate timeline. And Caesar tries to stop the world from forming into the one we witnessed the first time around in PLANET. The whole idea just works better that way. Besides, in 1991 - 2001 did we see any Apes being sold and revolting, as in CONQUEST and BATTLE? So that can't really work as "our" timeline.

I think the 'complete circular' theory is flawed. Or at least, as the last prologue of BATTLE leaves off, the circle is in no way completed yet. We don't know if it'll pan out the way PLANET and BENEATH happened. And I think that's the perfect way to have ended the saga.

Here's a fun thread dealing with the subject:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum....74#reply-72774

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks