What's new

Any plans for Burton to make a sequel to Planet of the Apes? (1 Viewer)

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I like BOTH the original Planet of the Apes movie with Charlton Heston and the retelling done by Tim Burton.

I was wondering though if there are any plans on the table for Burton to do the next installment?

Brad E

Second Unit
I liked Planet of the apes (the new version) and I do hope another movie is made.
Of course I can't remember anything about the original Planet of the apes, so if there are any discrepencies, I don't know about them.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Burton has said that if there is another one, he will not be involved (Commentary on the PotA DVD). Good move I think. And just for the recored I really liked Burton's version.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The original sequels were pretty....um....awful if you ask me. Why you would want to remake them is beyond me. Besides I'm sure there are enough "atom-bomb worshipping cult" jokes in Futurama already.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm sure any sequels to Burton's version will go in a different direction than the original's sequels, much like Burton's went away from the original itself.

I know the writer had a trilogy in mind, but the number crunching at Fox will ultimately decide if there's one or not.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Anyone know what the numbers on Burton's PoTA are ?

I thought his remake was original in many ways, but ended up falling apart under it's own weight.... Cool ending, but I can't see a sequel being built on that premise.

Kenshiro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
According to IMDB, Burton's remake did $180,011,740 domestically and $178,900,000 outside the United States for a worldwide tally of $358,900,000.

I would be suprised if Fox didn't release another Planet of the Apes film, with or without Burton's involvment.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Gotta love the rampant threadcrapping right away. I personally enjoyed the new PotA a lot, especially since I'm a die-hard Burton fan. It was weird and dark and a total mind-fuck of an ending. Hopefully a sequel in the same style (hopefully with Burton) is in the works.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I would disagree. I thought both Escape and Conquest were excellent extensions of the orignal film.

Burton's film has serious diverged from the original through it's ending, so any sequel has got to head through brand new territory. I didn't think too highly of the remake and its joke twist ending, but if they have some creative way to use it, then maybe a good movie could be found.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Unlikely. Burton had problems with the studio all throughout production, that and the trouble finding who would direct it, star in it, script and creative changes, etc, etc.

Burton seems pretty committed to several upcoming projects in teh next few years, that and I'm sure most people would not line up to see a sequel to POTA anyways. But who knows, it is Hollywood after all.....

I myself like the film quite a bit( I loved it when I first saw it) and have the 2-Disc DVD, which is still reference quality.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I think after the disappinting take with Tomb Raider 2, the traditional number crunching of diminishing returns will re-emerge.

In the last several years, sequels have been performing as well if not better. Traditionally they drop off in business, and I think that's the model Fox will be using to decide on a sequel. If the production will cost so much, and it can only be expected to bring in 70% of the original, is a sequel profitable?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I saw a bit of some E! special recently (maybe The E! True Hollywood Story?) and it was about Mark Wahlberg. I caught the part about Planet of the Apes, and was very amused at how clueless some people are.

A lady who had some connection to Wahlberg was being interviewed and said that the Planet of the Apes remake was a failure. Then she explains (something to the effect of) 'It didn't have Roddy McDowell, so no wonder that it didn't work.'

Have you gone mad?? I was surprised that 1. such a moronic comment was made by someone and 2. that the editors at E! actually used it.

Did anyone else see that bit?

Personally, I enjoyed all the Planet of the Apes films, and would love to see another one.

IMO, the best one is Beneath the Planet of the Apes - which, aside from clip from the first film, also does not feature Roddy McDowell.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
PotA Burton is a retelling not a remake, just for facts' sake. Oyvey moy, you wanna talk about a bad remake? A scene by dreadful scene godawful remake is the Gus Van Sant 1998 Psycho. I urge everyone to steer clear of it. :thumbsdown:

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the apes in the Burton film were far more of a threat than in the original. Again, I am a fan of BOTH films and can appreciate them for what they are.

The original had the trial going on and the only way they could even make a connection to apes was to have them walk around swaying from side to side. Other than the hunting, there was very little to consider them a real threat to humans.

In Burtons film, the movements of the apes were far more convincing as was the brute force in which they beat humans and each other.

But we are also talking about two different eras of movie making here and digital effects enable filmmakers to really stretch the bound of their imagination.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have read that Mark Wahlberg once said that he didn't want to do a PotA sequel if Tim Burton wasn't involved. However, I think the big obstacle is coming up with a good paycheck to lure Mark back in and if FOX wants to do a sequel. I think I rather see another X-Files movie than a PotA sequel.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

This is precisely the reason I didn't care for PotA at all, BECAUSE I'm a die-hard Burton fan. This movie had Studio all over it and not a hint of Burton's typical Weirdness, Darkness or design flair that has so defined his prior career. I was certainly expecting weird and dark but instead got an incoherent mishmash of crappy soundstage sets and campy performances that could have come from ANY half-talented Hollywood hack working today. When I see a Tim Burton movie I expect to know, immediately -- from the stunning stage pieces to the creepy characters all the way down to the Danny Elfman score -- that it's a TIM BURTON MOVIE. This one really disappointed.

Ben JH

Grip
Hopefully, if only for more of Estella Warren in a bikini. :emoji_thumbsup:

"Get your hands off her, you damn dirty ape!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks