What's new

Any pet-peeves with your spouse? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
My wife is superstitious. She doesn't like going into one of the rooms in the house because it "feels spooky". If I tease her about ghosts, she gets mad at me for scaring her. For an objectivist/rationalist like me, this is really silly.

But I dearly love her.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I have a friend who is constantly asking me "Don't you want to be married?". It has gotten to the point where I can shut him up with one answer/question - "Don't you want to be single?" In his case, he realizes the only reason he wants me to marry is he needs a companion in his suffering (mileage may vary for others).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The grass is always greener.No! Use the Lara Kitlinger line...She does the bit where all of her friends are asking "When are you going to get married?" - Her response is "When are you going to die?...I mean, isn't that the next step?" :D

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Hmm....that would explain all the plane ticket stubs.

Seriously, I'm also with Darin on the "hogging the entire freakin' bed" thing. I bought the damn bed, so I should be allowed more than one foot of horizontal bedspace to sleep in.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

I think you are trying to take it one step beyond its intention. Of course expressing sympathy is not a sign of weakness.
You kind of have to be there to see it, but she uses it to back down from a confrontation, mostly with her father, and it is continuing into our relationship.

Example: Her dad will call up all upset because she couldn't attend a family picnic or something minor like that and instead of saying she had to work or had other obligations, she says "I'm sorry" and lets him continue. Me, I tell him to pound sand, the world doesn't revolve around him and if he wants us to attend the next one, stop being such a dick when something else comes up that prevents it once in awhile.
Anyway, I think it isn't a problem she says it, it is the fact that she will sometmes say it 10-12 times a day, and it gets really old after that.

Oh, one other thing she does is make that annoying "chick-chick" sound after making a statement. At least she doesn't make the pistol hand gesture along with it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I maintain to this day I would have asked her sooner if she would have LET IT GO. Tell her that every time she asks, you are going to wait one more week. And every time she asks, remind her of that.

It's the last bit of "hand" you'll have...take advantage of it.

Most of this thread felt like I wrote it last night:

- TP not where it should be
- Asking me for advice, then doing what her mother says (usually right after I said it)
- Needing the TV to fall asleep
- Watching the worst shit on TLC (or SOAP)

But it all boils down to: NOT LISTENING TO ME.

Reminds me of an old chestnut.

It's a proven fact that married men live longer than single men. But married men are a lot more willing to DIE.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

and I had plenty of "hand" while I was trying it. Much more than I wanted (and it is real tough to take advantage of yourself).:b

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Jeff, your list of complaints was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I about spit my lunch out when I read: HAHAHA! Classic.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

I don't know. I agree with her if only for the fact that she too was a smoker. I used to be a smoker and if I can quit, so can my friends.

Now had I never been a smoker and all I was doing was spouting off at the mouth (with no way of understanding how hard it is to quit), then I'd agree with you. But since I used to be a smoker, I don't. ;)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I always like her "honeydew" list.

Why is it so many men refer to their wives as "the boss"?

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor

Heh, I've tried that, too. It almost always ends up with me being "mean" and then I'm the one in trouble for the evening. WTH? Which leads me to another peeve: She can make jokes at my expense until she turns blue (I usually don't mind a few, but it gets old after so long), but as soon as I joke back, I'm being "mean". Whatever....

Colton

Supporting Actor
Yeah, my wife would come to me with a question and I would spend five or ten minutes giving her an answer and explaining the facts, show her flowcharts and graphs and a elaborate follow-up with documented proof ... then she says, "I'll ask my dad."

Why do I even bother? :frowning:

Her: Why isn't the light working?
Me: The bulb is burnt out.
Her: You sure? I'll ask my dad.

:angry:

- Colton

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
A few of mine:

- asking the same question 3, 4 times. The number of times the question is asked will not change the reply!

I don't have a contribution of my own, but reading this thread reminds me of Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About:

"Margret doesn't like to watch films on the TV. No, hold on - let me make sure you've got the inflection here: Margret doesn't like to watch films on the TV. She says she does, but years of bitter experience have proven that what she actually wants is to sit by me while I narrate the entire bleeding film to her. 'Who's she?', 'Why did he get shot?', 'I thought that one was on their side?', 'Is that a bomb' - 'JUST WATCH IT! IN THE NAME OF GOD, JUST WATCH IT!' The hellish mirror-image of this is when she furnishes me, deaf to my pleading, with her commentary. Chair-clawing suspense being assaulted mercilessly from behind by such interjections as, 'Hey! Look! They're the cushions we've got.', 'Isn't she the one who does that tampon advert?' and, on one famous occasion, 'Oh, I've seen this - he gets killed at the end.'"

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

Jeff, I don't think you should be in this relationship if you really feel this way. I'm only 18, and I'm in a long term relationship with my girlfriend, and I am grateful she says "I love you" and that she confides in me with what she has to say.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"3. She says 'I love you' too damn much."
My gf does this and it can be very annoying at times. Not so much that she says it but the fact that everytime she does, i am required to give her an "i love you too" in response. I am not exagerating when i say 20-30 times on some days.

other things nobody has mentioned.

1)The silent treatment. I have no friggen clue what is bothering her, and obviously, she wont tell me. This gets me really really angry.

2)Her - "Im bored, lets do something". me - "Sure, what do you want to do" Her - "I dont know". SHE NEVER KNOWS! But, she does know that she dosn't want to do anything i suggest!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks