What's new

Any other Ghost Hunters fans? (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Is anyone else here a fan of Ghost Hunters? I'd never watched it before, and I borrowed the S1 DVDs from a coworker, now I am hooked! I think it's because the TAPS guys really try to make it more realistic, and not too sensational, does that make sense?

The new season starts on June 6th, according to official site. That needs to get here now, I want new epsiodes!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yep, there are quite a few fans here (including me).

There are a couple of Ghost Hunters threads you may want to check out (have to do a search).

You should check when SciFi Channel is running repeats. I think they played several Wednesday night. That's a good way to catch some as well. I'll bet they have a marathon the weekend before the new episodes start (or somewhere in that time frame).

I'm really looking forward to the new episodes too.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yup, new episodes in June!!!

The last season (or I guess it is the first half of this season) was pretty good. I am looking forward to seeing more episodes from thier trip to england. The Irish Elemental episode was pretty intense.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I do like it although some of it appears staged.
When they meet a client for the first time (and there happens to be a camera guy already in the house catching the reverse angle) and then they "act" all surprised and "Hey, how ya doin'..?!?"
when in reality it seems they rehearsed the scene bugs me a bit. Know how you can tell? In many scenes like that, you would see the other camera, sound crew in the other (reversed) shot, when you don't and then they say cut to a wide shot and there's suddenly no camera crew, it's clear that just like a film or TV show, it is being directed and rehearsed. Also, people who aren't accustomed to being on camera (like newbie extras on sets) tend to look at the camera quite often, many times ruining a shot. I can't tell you how many sets I was on both behind the scenes and doing extra work where people are told "do NOT look at the camera!" Yet people still do, they try and sneak a look. The fact that these people the Ghost hunters are meeting supposedly for the first time suddenly have camera crews in their face never even for a second acknowledge the camera just yells "rehearsed" to me. Hell, even "Blair Witch" faked it more authentically.
I used to work in film and video so little things like this to me just scream out "rehearsed" and "staged" and take away from the "reality" of the reality show. (I know, there's no such thing as reality TV..)
Also I watched the "Live from the stanley hotel" ep. on Halloween nite and I was listening with the headphones on (better 1/2 was asleep) and in a scene where the 2 women were lying on the beds in a room (217?) you could hear them being cued by the director or a PA. You could easily here, "go..." they didn't hear it so a couple of seconds later it was repeated, "GO!" whispered a bit louder. Suddenly one says to the other, supposedly startled "Did you hear that?" as if something creepy had happened. Clearly staged.
I'm not saying they are out and out frauds like the "most haunted" team turned out to be with Derek, but clearly the show is very heavily manipulated and it wouldn't surprise me if it was later revealed to be largely staged.
I still enjoy it but everytime I see one of these "scenes" it breaks the spell for me. It's like that scene in "Broadcast News" where Albert Brooks busts William Hurt on his story where he cries while the woman (played by an actress I actually knew back in NYC, Marita Geraghty, btw!) is recounting her story of being date raped. Brooks asks Hurt "How many cameras did you have on that story?" and he says "one" meaning that to get the shot of him tearing up, it was done after the fact and wasn't real.

anyways, kvetching over. Yes, I do like the show, but if I find out later that it's like "Most haunted" and is bogus, I will feel a bit gypped.

:)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Most Haunted...bogus?!! Say it ain't so! :D
At least Ghost Hunters tries to debunk more than they bunk...so I give the show that much.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I've heard of the show, but never watched it. However, my sister called me the other day to tell me the show is going to be in town (Tampa) next weekend. She can't confirm whether she's going to be on television yet, but she's going to be spending the Fri night with some of her friends and the crew of Ghost Hunters at the Cuban Club (apparently haunted) in Ybor City.

I'm sure she'll get more information as we get closer to next week, and I'll let you guys know.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
For me part of the appeal is the fact that they do try and debunk everything it COULD be before they decide to say it's something paranormal. They get so much respect from me for that. And, there DO seem to be things that are quite unexplainable that show up on their readings, etc. sometimes. This show is so addictive to marathon :) That's how I got hooked.

Jerry, that'd be really cool if your sister got to be part of the show!

I'm glad it's back soon - I'm hoping for some more episodes where they check out places that have kind of a history or myth of ghosts of some kind, I think those are always some of the best episodes (maybe becuase it's places you know.)

I read that Ghost Hunters is also premiering with something called "Destination Truth" which I don't know that much about but it looks like it could be interesting, something in a similar vein.

I think the lighthouse one is the creepiest one I've seen, wonder if they can top that this year.

gerrymac48

Grip
Real Name
GERRY
As a homeowner that has had TAPS at their home I can tell you it is not rehearsed or scripted. I wish it was so I could have felt like I did a better job before the whole country sees me. It is very much geared for natural responses and reactions. Of course minor directions are given so as not to spoil a shot but scripted or staged,,,,,,, ABSOLUTLEY NOT !!!! My home will be seen this season on June 20th, titled "Nightmare Noises". I am sure there are several minutes of film that had to be edited out because of human error which is up to the film company to do , not TAPS. I mean really, what would you have them do ? Show up at your door like the "Prize Patrol" ? Send a film crew out to an empty home ? I found nothing staged or manipulated about it. I never saw the show before they came and now having seen how professional they are I will always be a fan. I respect anyone's opinion and believe the great thing is; if you don't like the show you are free to not watch it. JMHO :crazy:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I honestly think they are exactly what they claim to be. The only real problems have been other people (outside of the show) screwing around with them while they are shooting. Like in the Queen Mary episode.

They would not fabricate any evidence. If fact, they seem to debunk almost everything. They also go back sometimes to replicate stuff to try and see what causes things. This helps in my thinking that they are really "investigating" not "entertaining".

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hey there Gerry.

Please tell us about your home. What have you been experiencing there? What did Jason and Grant find? Were they able to debunk things to put you at ease, did they find any evidence of paranormal activity, or were there no evidence either way?

Fill us in!

gerrymac48

Grip
Real Name
GERRY
Hi Sean,
I am really sorry but I cannot talk about the shows contents until after it airs. The best I can do is tell you it will be a good show to watch. Feel free to read between the lines. LOL However, I will be happy to discuss it with anyone after the June 20th air date. Sorry I can't tell you more right now.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Wow, Gerry that's pretty amazing! I am going to really be looking forward to when you can talk more after it airs. That must have been quite an experience!

As for "investigating" vs "entertaining" - part of the reason I think the show IS so entertaining is because it's serious investigation, it wouldn't be nearly as good if you didn't trust it to not be misleading you.

If anyone has any personal ghost hunting ambitions, SciFi is having a "Hunt for the Hunter" contest (and people get to vote on the finalists). It actually looks pretty neat. http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=41616

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay

I can't wait to see this episode now...you know that you will have to come in after it airs to give us more details.

:eek:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Gerry, I understand if there is some sort of legal agreement keeping you from commenting until the show airs. No problem.

Just please be sure to remind us just before the June 20th show that the episode featuring your home is about to air.

gerrymac48

Grip
Real Name
GERRY
I CAME UPON THIS FORUM BY TRYING TO RESEARCH MY UPCOMING SHOW AS I WILL FIRST SEE IT WHEN IT AIRS MYSLF. SIMPLY PUTTING "GHOST HUNTERS" WITH SOME OTHER WORDS IN GOOGLE EVENTUALLY COMES TO THIS FORUM AND MANY OTHERS. I AM EXCITED ABOUT IT SO I WAS LOOKING INTO IT.YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE THE RIGHT TO BELIEVE AND EXPRESS ANYTHING YOU WANT AND I RESPECT THAT RIGHT. HAVING SAID THAT, IF YOU THINK I POSTED FOR ANY OTHER REASON OTHER THAN MY OWN EXCITEMENT AND CURIOSITY YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN. AS FAR AS THE "MEET AND GREET" GOES,,,,, AGAIN I ASK YOU; WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE THEM DO ? SHOW UP LIKE THE PRIZE PATROL ? MAYBE I COULD ANSWER THE DOOR IN MY UNDERWEAR WITH A RIPPED TEE SHIRT. MY POINT BEING YOU APPEAR TO BE SKEPTICAL OF IT ALL AND MAYBE I DECIDED TO JOIN AND POST ON THE WRONG FORUM AND THREAD. WHEN I GOOGLED IT CAME UP "ANY OTHER GHOST HUNTERS FANS?" I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE FUN TO TALK TO OTHER FANS. MY INTENT WAS NOT TO STIR THINGS OR DEBATE SO I WILL NOT BE POSTING ANY LONGER. IN FACT I WILL UNJOIN UPON POSTING THIS REPLY. I'M SURE YOU WILL READ SOMETHING ELSE IN THAT AND THAT'S FINE. WHAT IS A SHAME THOUGH IS I DID GET A LOT OF REPLYS FROM PEOPLE THAT WANTED TO TALK AFTER IT AIRS BUT I REFUSE TO DEFEND MYSELF OR THE SHOW TO ACCUSATIONS.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I've so far have just seen season 1 (from BB online) and really liked it. I also noticed the meet and greet being staged but it really didn't bother me. To me, the actual investigating seems pretty legit. They seem to really go out of their way to debunk something and the evidence has to be EXTREMELY convincing for them to actual believe a place is haunted. The scenes that really freaked me out was 1. the moving "shadow figure" in the prison. 2. the camerman that got knocked down by some force. 3. the chair that was caught moving on camera (could have been staged though).

I have season 2 in my Que but still on a waiting list for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks