What's new

Any opinions on 5 vs. 400 DVD changer? (1 Viewer)

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to purchase a new Sony DVD player this next week. My search has led me to two models:

DVP-NC685V (5 disc DVD/CD/SACD)
DVP-CX985V (400 disc DVD/CD/SACD)

I'm looking for anyone's opinion on the 5 vs. 400 disc player. I have a DVD collection of about 150 DVD's. I like the idea of the 400 disc changer but I'm really not sure that its necessary. I would appreciate any comments from those with both.

Thanks.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have the DVP-985V on order from J&R Music World. And as the owner of the 301 disc DVP-CX860 changer, the primary feature for me is convienence!!!! Instead of searching for a title (or titles)they are already loaded & ready to play. Boxsets are easier to enjoy. Random chapter play from titles in different folders are cool! I have come to live with the autoplay & GUI options. This changer will house at least CD's/DVD's and SACD discs for play. I also have 2 Sony cd only changers (CDP-CX 450 & 455), so, the mega-changer format for me is perfect ( I had a very strong attarction to jukeboxes when I was a kid)! Less searching and more enjoyment!!!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Terry, I currently have the 985V & have been really happy with it. I would say if you don't like to handle your disk's much go for it. But I will warn you that loading it just plain sucks. I also had to load nearly double your collection though so it would be easyer for you. I went from a older 5 disk changer wich I liked just as well, but I love not having to mess around with my disk's any more. Once there loaded thats it. It also makes for an easy excuse not to loan out disk's either if you have friends who wont to borrow all the time.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, neither the 985 or the 777ES model will flip discs. Only the previous 301 disc models DVP-CX860/870 and 875 (if still available) will flip them.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I love the idea.

I can't imagine the load'n and catalog'n process for a large DVD library though. I have a 300 disc CD changer by Sony and really have loved it, but I got that before my CD library had less than 100 CD's, see'n the need at that time.

I have about 200 DVD titles now and steadily growing.
I also have about 200 Laserdiscs so I guess I will always have to change those out one by one.

This thread sure has me thinking about one though.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I have almost 400 DVDs now, and I definately need a changer.

The Sony 875 and 985 can be both found for around $300. Other than the 985 having 400 capacity and SACD support, what are the differences? It seems alot of people on AVSForum prefer the 875 over the 985.

Also, is there something for discrete input switching? I can't run my HTPC and do SACD input from the changer at the same time.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Eric, Two things that the 875 have over the 985 is the flipper feature & Sony S-link. From what I have seen that is the two biggest things people are picking the 875 over the 985 for. The only other real complaint I have seen is the size of the 985.
I have had mine for a few weeks now & the only things I don't really care for is the fact they didn't put the S-link on it. Other than that the disk explorer is kinda crappy but it works well enough.

On a side note, it may not mean anything to most but I found it intersting. I had mine apart a few days ago & three of the main circuit boards in the 985 are also used in the 777ES. They have both product numbers on them for the 985 & 777.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
For SACD listening, your changer will have to be connected to the six RCA External In jacks on your system. My Denon AVR-2803 has them, so I am all set! There are a few other threads concerning this on this site.

Eric F

Screenwriter
That's why I asked if there was a way to switch discrete inputs. I already have my HTPC hooked up to my receiver's 5.1 inputs.

The 985 certainly seems like the best bargain going. According to the specs it seems exactly the same as the 777 with the exception of the DAC and RS-232 port. I might wait a bit for the price to drop, as Sony just lowered the MSRP for it. I wouldn't be surprised if it will hit $300 within a month.

Users who are viewing this thread