What's new

Any news on when The Odd Couple is coming to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, she returned to her role for the underrated reunion movie, THE ODD COUPLE: TOGETHER AGAIN, back in 1993.

Hey, THERE'S an idea for a "bonus". I don't know who controls the rights for the '93 reunion movie, but it was a TV movie that was broadcast only once that I recall, and never seen again.

Most of the ODD COUPLE TV Series fans I speak to don't care much for this reunion film, but I think you need to consider a few things.

For starters, there were a few bad scripts roaming around for years but Tony Randall and Jack Klugman didn't want to bother if it wasn't an idea they believed in. A 1991 television interview with Klugman confirmed this where he said he'd rather not come back to the series at all unless the script was something decent.

When Klugman had throat surgery due to cancer, all chances for a reunion could have been lost. However, this turned out to be the perfect idea for a story to bring the duo together again: What could be more natural than using this real-life situation and having Oscar Madison, the carefree smoker and beer guzzler and likely candidate himself, contracting throat cancer while Felix Unger insists on taking care of him at his apartment and making his life miserable all over again?

While the illness itself is difficult to joke about, Klugman felt it could also show how people like Madison and himself can beat the disease. So it's a comedy that presents the Odd Couple not only driving each other nuts again, but at the same time also has something to say.

One of the complaints is that the characters of Gloria and the "poker pals" from the television show have been replaced by new actors. Sure, it would have been fun to see Al Molinaro return as bumbling cop Murray, but other than these relatively minor quibbles, the script manages to revisit just about all the familiar gags we'd come to love and expect from the series...

Felix's sinus troubles, his annoying moans of "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar", that infamous half-eaten tuna fish sandwich that still seems to be hanging around Oscar's messy room, Felix trying to help his friend out but only managing to cause him intense embarrassment, Oscar ultimately trying to set things right between Felix and his Gloria, and all kinds of other little details that pure fans of the program would be looking for.

It's not the most perfect reunion we would have wanted; after all, it's almost 20 years after the show ended and our mismatched roommates haven't gotten any younger; but this is harmless good fun with a positive message of hope, too.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
My complaint with the reunion movie was that I don't recall it being all that funny. I still have it on tape somewhere.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if there's been anything further on the release of this TV series? It pains me to see every television program under the sun get a release except for this one. It's a great comedy.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I recently read Jack Klugman's book, Tony and Me, which included a DVD of bloopers from The Odd Couple. It was pretty short, but hilarious. It made me really hope DVDs of the show are in the works.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
As I recall, the Yahtzee commercial was some time after the show's run and was not shot on the apartment set (and the character names not used). So it wouldn't technically be officially Oscar and Felix, (only in a wink-nudge way), but of course it would be neat to have included anyway.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I recall the Yahtzee commercial being done on the apartment set, and during the show's run. But the characters' names weren't used, as we knew who they were from the current show.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
They also did a commercials for Eagle snacks. This was during the time Jack was ill or just recovering.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Wasn't there a potato chip ad with the two of them, Tony takes out one chip at a time, Jack then takes the bag and spreads all the chips onto the table? He did that in an original episode.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Jack Klugman turned 84 yrs old yesterday (April 27th). Happy birthday Jack! Let's hope we get The Odd Couple released on DVD soon so he may share some thoughts on this great show with us.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Loved the show and would love to see it. I just hate that they have to release the first season initially since it's in my opinion the weakest one being shot with one camera rather than with a studio audience/four camera system.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Time to bump this thread up again. I mean, with shows like HAZEL, THAT GIRL and SIMON AND SIMON being announced, what the heck is the holdup on THE ODD COUPLE??

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
BUMP!!

Okay, after seeing that FAMILY AFFAIR (!) is coming to DVD, I once again thought it was time to see if anyone has heard any news regarding THE ODD COUPLE, a show that's been missing on DVD for far too long (shame, shame, Paramount).

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I don't see it until 07. It looks like Gomer Pyle will replace Andy Griffith. Hogan's Heroes is in Season 4 out of 6 total. I suspect that the last season is in 07. Then I think they will move onto The Odd couple. From everything we've seen it is a question of when not if.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks