What's new

Any news on WEST SIDE STORY bluray? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Next to Lawrence of Arabia and Cleopatra this will be one of the best looking 70mm blurays ever. Can we hope for a release anytime soon?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Haven't heard a word, but 2010 is the 50th Anniversary, so I can't believe Warner wouldn't take advantage of that promotion.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Originally Posted by Brian W.

Haven't heard a word, but 2010 is the 50th Anniversary, so I can't believe Warner wouldn't take advantage of that promotion.
West Side Story belongs to MGM. And since they're on the verge of a possible bankruptcy, I suspect we may have to wait a while for a Blu-ray release.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Actually WEST SIDE STORY was released in 1961, so 2011 would be the 50th anniversary. But in any case it sounds like we may have to wait a while to see it on blu ray.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Jim*Tod

Actually WEST SIDE STORY was released in 1961, so 2011 would be the 50th anniversary. But in any case it sounds like we may have to wait a while to see it on blu ray.

By golly, you're right. I would have sworn I read that the earliest outdoor scenes were shot in late 1959, which is what put the 1960 release date in my head, but I may have it mixed up with another movie. (Probably "Psycho.")

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
According to the IMDB (which is not always accurate, but is a reasonable place to start) filming began in August 1960 and wrapped in February 1961. It premiered that October in New York. Jerome Robbins started rehearsing the dancers a month or two before shooting began, but it doesn't appear that any work would have been done in 1959. (Unless they grabbed the opening helicopter shots that far in advance.)

Psycho filmed from November 1959 to February 1960. It was released that August.

Regards,

Joe

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Latest news on WSS is that the original Academy Award winning 6-track magnetic mix has been restored by M-G-M at Chace in Burbank, using a myriad of original recordings and other bits and pieces to aid in completion. A 70mm print preserved and loaned by a high end collector was used in this preservation program which was aided and abetted by Hollywood projection engineer extraordinaire Paul Rayton.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Here's a look at the collector's box for West Side Story to be released on November 15th. Sorry the pic isn't any larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks