What's new

Any News On These Universal Shows Getting Released (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
Are you kidding? Even people who work there can't ask questions. The powers that be don't reveal info on this stuff to anyone.
No, I'm *not* kidding. It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask and considering how Universal felt compelled to acknowledge the impact on one of their releases, that means they *do* release info on this of some kind and if they were serious about trying to locate where other source elements might be, they might bother to be candid with the public on that point.

Who gave you your info on "Baretta" BTW if they don't reveal info on this stuff to "anyone"?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
No, I'm *not* kidding. It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask and considering how Universal felt compelled to acknowledge the impact on one of their releases, that means they *do* release info on this of some kind and if they were serious about trying to locate where other source elements might be, they might bother to be candid with the public on that point.

Who gave you your info on "Baretta" BTW if they don't reveal info on this stuff to "anyone"?
I was thinking the same thing. if nobody knows, how come people show up here periodically in various threads stating this show or that show was destroyed in the fire?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And usually the info comes from the same guy who I guess doesn't consider himself to be just "anyone".

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. :)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
And usually the info comes from the same guy who I guess doesn't consider himself to be just "anyone".
Jack, I've noticed that there are quite a few "fish stories" that appear on this board from time to time. Not to single anybody out, but for example I know of one so-called "expert" who produced extensive lists of shows they would like to see released. The funny part is that many of them were one season shows never syndicated with no 16mm prints floating around that aired during the same same time block when aired. Can't remember any TIVO in 65. Hmmmm

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Frank Soyke said:
I was thinking the same thing. if nobody knows, how come people show up here periodically in various threads stating this show or that show was destroyed in the fire?
I wouldn't be surprised if such unofficial leaked information is from some off-the-record gossip.

One possible source of gossip, in principle could be overheared at the water cooler, in the cafeteria, restaurants, or "happy hour" watering holes frequented by insiders. (ie. Some people can't keep their mouths shut after several beers or shotglasses of liquor).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Neil Brock said:
Are you kidding? Even people who work there can't ask questions. The powers that be don't reveal info on this stuff to anyone.
More generally, corporations don't have to say anything to anybody except the IRS (and SEC for publicly traded companies).

Even in the case of publicly traded companies, they only have to disclose the minimal amount of information required by the SEC in their 10-K, 10-Q, etc ... filings. Otherwise, they're not legally required to say anything else more.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks everyone for their replies! One thing that has suprised me is how some real obscure shows- an example being The Snoop Sisters--- gets released but a better known and I would certainly think higher seller like MCCLOUD doesn't get released anymore after 1 DVD release. I would think The Snoop Sisters would have to be in the class of one of the most obscure TV shows of all time. Maybe Universal let VEI liscense it cheap LOL. It has suprised me that Timeless did not liscence MCCLOUD years ago. Look at the lesser known titles Timeless has done Wide Country, Coranado 9, Arrest And Trial to name a few. I guess either the owners of Timeless were not fans of MCCLOUD or Universal wanted more money to liscence MCCLOUD.Take Care!Robert

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think "Snoop Sisters" was in a way a kind of combined package thing with "McMillan And Wife" because Leonard Stern was executive producer of both shows. In fact, after "Snoop Sisters" run ended you had Mildred Natwick then showing up on "McMillan And Wife" as Rock Hudson's mother while cast member Lou Antonio directed a few McMillan episodes.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Neil Brock said:
Yeah, the studios don't think that way. No one says, hey, lets put out this failed show because the star of it was popular. If that was the case, then we would get:

Headmaster/The New Andy Griffith Show
The New Dick Van Dyke Show
The Good Life & Here We Go Again (Larry Hagman)
For the People & Barbara Coast (William Shatner)
Assignment Vienna, The Duke, Man Called Sloane, The D.A. & who knows how many other failed series starring Robert Conrad

There are tons of failed shows which had popular stars in them.
But I'm not talking about the studios there, Universal is a no-doer in rare classic TV, I'm talking about licensing out. In the case of Janssen, I think it would make particularly good company sense. The Fugitive, and all.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
HenryDuBrow said:
But I'm not talking about the studios there, Universal is a no-doer in rare classic TV, I'm talking about licensing out. In the case of Janssen, I think it would make particularly good company sense. The Fugitive, and all.
Why? The typical "man on the street" probably doesn't even know David Janssen anymore seeing how little The Fugitive has been shown in syndication. These little known shows generally appeal to a fringe group (which would be us) and it isn't economically feasible for a major studio to invest in doing digital transfers, etc. for what little return they'll receive. IF Universal ever moved into a MOD program like Warner has, then you might see something along this line but not until.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
Why? The typical "man on the street" probably doesn't even know David Janssen anymore seeing how little The Fugitive has been shown in syndication. These little known shows generally appeal to a fringe group (which would be us) and it isn't economically feasible for a major studio to invest in doing digital transfers, etc. for what little return they'll receive. IF Universal ever moved into a MOD program like Warner has, then you might see something along this line but not until.
In addition, its not a very good show.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I enjoyed the few episodes I've sampled from my A+E set and would gladly upgrade. I'd certainly take it over certain other shows of that decade and the previous one.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
I enjoyed the few episodes I've sampled from my A+E set and would gladly upgrade. I'd certainly take it over certain other shows of that decade and the previous one.
Could be a case where those transfers made for A&E burned up. Although one of the shows from that package, Mrs. Columbo did turn up as bonus episodes on the Columbo DVDs.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Certainly possible, but the Mrs. Columbo episodes were in fact released on DVD before the fire so that's no guarantee of their continued existence.

One episode of another A+E package show "Delvecchio" was on the "Brilliant But Cancelled" DVD release, but the episode they chose looked like a poor 16mm transfer that didn't even have a title sequence!

All things considered, I'm glad that of all the A+E single season shows, the best one, "Ellery Queen" made it (even if they did foul up the credits of the pilot movie).

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ron1973 said:
This is very true. As we get older, sometimes we forget how much time has passed since some of these stars have been in the limelight. Talk to any friends or family under 30 and see how many even heard of Janssen, Buddy Ebson, Robert Conrad, Mike Conners, William Conrad, Robert Stack and many others that we consider mainstays of TV. It's sad but many of these guys are irrelevant past history to young folks. Thus, studios feel little need to release associated shows because they are appealing to a younger demographic.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
Yeah, the studios don't think that way. No one says, hey, lets put out this failed show because the star of it was popular. If that was the case, then we would get:

Headmaster/The New Andy Griffith Show
The New Dick Van Dyke Show
The Good Life & Here We Go Again (Larry Hagman)
For the People & Barbara Coast (William Shatner)
Assignment Vienna, The Duke, Man Called Sloane, The D.A. & who knows how many other failed series starring Robert Conrad

There are tons of failed shows which had popular stars in them.
But any reason for putting them out is better than not putting them out. And there are fans of Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke who are fans enough to buy these DVD's. Not sure about Robert Conrad and Shatner, though.

James

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Frank Soyke said:
This is very true. As we get older, sometimes we forget how much time has passed since some of these stars have been in the limelight. Talk to any friends or family under 30 and see how many even heard of Janssen, Buddy Ebson, Robert Conrad, Mike Conners, William Conrad, Robert Stack and many others that we consider mainstays of TV. It's sad but many of these guys are irrelevant past history to young folks. Thus, studios feel little need to release associated shows because they are appealing to a younger demographic.
I'm over age 30 and I don't recognize any of those star names, except Robert Stack.

(IIRC, Robert Stock was the host/narrator on Unsolved Mysteries during the 1980's, and he was the head ATF agent in "Beavis and Butthead Do America").

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JamesSmith said:
But any reason for putting them out is better than not putting them out. And there are fans of Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke who are fans enough to buy these DVD's. Not sure about Robert Conrad and Shatner, though.

James
I'd buy The Duke. I remember liking it and was disappointed it only got a half season run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks