What's new

Any news on Raging Bull:SE? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator
I clicked this thread to see if it was actually released.

I went to CC yesterday and they did not have it.

Of course last week they didn't have Ray.

The week before they didn't have Sky Captain etc...

Brand new building, same ole' CC.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I relate; the Circuit City in my area usually doesn't have new releases actually out of the shipping boxes and available for the buying populace until several hours after doors have opened on any given Tuesday...it's irritating as hell...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Travis,
Are you going to either the one at 71st or 41st? I don't seem to run into those issues when I'm there. I'm usually there at 10 or 10:30..

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Last Waltz S.E. has dropped it's insert booklet??

Can anyone confirm the packaging for Raging Bull in the box-set...

I'm not sure why MGM would lose the slipcover for TLW if they are packaging Raging Bull with one, it would've made sense for conformity but not if you've got a mix of keepcases, digipacks, and than slipcovers to boot...

Can anyone please verify Raging Bull's packaging?

I might just pick up TLW S.E. and return it sealed minus the slipcover and insert if I can get away with it.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Inside the boxset - Raging Bull is the 2 disc packaging and is in fact shrink wrapped.

The other three DVDs have no inserts, no shrink wrap, and say THE MARTIN SCORSESE FILM COLLECTION on the spine and upper left of the dvd.

The boxset is so nice and heavy duty I don't mind that there's no slipcase for The Last Waltz. In fact, the boxset seems to be made precisely to fit what's included.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michael, but unfortunately there was originally an 8-page collectible booklet written by Robbie Robertson himself with liner notes dedicated to the memory of deceased Band-mates Rick Danko and Richard Manuel inside the DVD which also contained a lot of useful information and facts. The embossed slipcase was quite nice too, though I don't mind that it's been dropped to fit the boxset. I think I'm going to try and snag a booklet somehow...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
How come Amazon's listing of the boxset indicates that the 8-page booklet IS included with the disc in the set??

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

* The Last Waltz
* Commentary by Robbie Robertson and Martin Scorsese
* 5.1 audio remix
* Featurette: "Revisiting The Last Waltz"
* Archival outtakes: Jam 2
* Photo gallery
* 8-page booklet written by Robbie Robertson

Is it possible, you just recieved one without an insert even though all the others offer them?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

The one on 71st...I constantly arrive there in the same time window to find empty slots yet to be filled with the new releases, so I always have to track a worker down to find out where the new releases are and they're always in a box, or out on a cart that will be wheeled over some time (later rather than sooner, it appears) to those empty slots...

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my copy of Raging Bull (BB was out of the 2-disc by the time I got there Tuesday). I've seen it said a few times above, but the packaging on this set is amazong. Now I can't wait to actually watch the movie.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Kain_C, because whenever possible, rather than pricematch, I try to proceed with the belief that whatever store offers the lowest price should be the one to get my money.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I thought overall the pic and sound quality on the SE was great. However I felt like I had to turn the sound way up to hear a decent amount of the dialog.

It is definetly possible there is a problem with my setup, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a similar problem.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit

Yes. I watched parts of the movie on TCM recently and I don't remember the dialog being this low. There are, however, several instances where the muted tones are probably used for dramatic effect. For example, the scene where Jake and Vickie reconcile after the violent fight with Joey. Just before they embrace, Vickie mumbles or whispers something to Jake, which makes sense since her face is badly bruised and her jaw possibly swollen shut. Too, some of the scenes with the mobsters have bits of hushed dialog that are probably included in the script. Seems to convey the shady nature of these characters.

Still, I frequently found myself scanning back and re-watching scenes with the volume turned up. These were scenes with no conceivable reason for muted voices or equivocal conversation. I can't remember any specifics, but it happened quite a few times. I wish the caption function hadn't been disabled during the film.

Minor quibbles aside, this is a unique and wonderful film, given a fittingly lavish treatment by MGM.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the dialogue was definitely too low. I found it a problem having to change the volume on various scenes.

On the video side, I was very impressed. The detail was very good and the film looked very nice.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched my copy yet, but I can tell you that every time I have seen this movie (Laserdisc, TV, VHS) the volume always seems to be too low in certain parts of the movie.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The DVD dialog likely seems lower than a broadcast airing because broadcasts always have some form of dynamic range compression. You can add some compression to the DVD's audio via your player and/or receiver to even out the dynamic "peaks and valleys" if that is your preference. This is really useful for low level listening.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks