What's new

Any news on Grease S.E? (1 Viewer)

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
They had better damn well fix the audio mix for the SE - or at least revert to the original mix without all the hideous & pointless 20th anniversary 'tweaks' that ruined so many moments in the film - one example: the mix-out at the end of "you're the one that I want", WHY OH WHY did they feel the need to fart around with it?

PLEASE PARAMOUNT GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL MIX! PLEASE!

Gary Nash

Agent
On the most recent release of the DVD, did anyone notice the "picture fuzzing" that was applied to the scenes in the diner - it looks like there was a period 'Coca cola' poster on the wall at the rear of the diner and electronic smudging has been applied to disguise it. The effect is pretty horrible - her's hoping they stump up the cash to appease Coke and have the picture restored to it's former glory.

For those with LaserDisc - can you see the fuzzing on that version ?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Gary, that was done because of how much money CC wanted for their product placement for Home Video. These kinds of things weren't considerations when the movie was originally released theatrically. Blurring unauthorized product placement (especially in music videos and 'reality' television) is now a common practise.

Rights negotiations are very expensive. That's why SCTV was so expensive, why WKRP reruns suck, and why Little Darlings doesn't have Supertramp, John Lennon or the Bellamy Brothers on the soundtrack.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
We're well into 2005 and still no announcement on the proposed Special Edition... Has there been any development in regards to a new release?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Were the Coke billboards blurred for home video in the 1980's or before the 1978 theatrical release?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
We have what has to be one of the first home video cassette releases--from the late '70s or very early '80s--and it was blurred then.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Well Paramount has it as a Q4 2005 HD-DVD release, so perhaps the SE will be released on DVD at the same time.

Personally, I'd be more interested in the HD-DVD release - even if it were barebones.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
My understanding is that it was blurred for the original theatrical release. The producers of Grease did not obtain permission to have the Coke logo in their film, and Coke thought the film was too raunchy and would not allow it. (I bet Coke wishes they could go back in time and change that decision!)

Jeff

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I remember reading commentaries were done for a new release something like 2 years ago.
Where is it??

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I noticed this for the first time when I watched this recently.
I hope they don't wait for a 30th Anniversary Edition.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
Grease needs a new video transfer, not to mention a better-done sound mix (c'mon, the 5.1 sound was basically mono until the songs kicked in). And a commentary, all the trailers and TV spots, deleted scenes, the works. The movie is a classic, and is one of the musicals I still enjoy watching today. The DVD is sub-par, everything could use improvement.

In fact, Paramount has been giving most of their '80s films the shaft in terms of quality presentation and good extras. Flashdance and Footloose definitely could benefit from a more thorough restoration and better extras for the former film. (Paramount, do we need to get a petition in order for you guys to do these films right?)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's funny...

Footloose was recently remastered. We went
out to the studio to see it and the new remixed
soundtrack was simply amazing! Problem was, they
used the same video transfer as the original release
so in actuality, no major improvement.

I'm surprised Grease hasn't resurfaced yet
as a SE. The studio took a lot of flack for that
release. Many of us believe that the transfer was
done in the late '90s when the film was supposed to
be released to DVD but was suddenly cancelled after
the Olivia Newton John lawsuit.

I do know that shortly after the DVD release,
Paramount held a big Press Party at their studio
where Olivia and Travolta got on stage and sang.
I was told that the event was filmed to be included
on a future release.

Perhaps, the studio is waiting to release it on HD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I might be tempted to double dip but ONLY if they improve the image quality. This title deserves a first-rate transfer and compression job...the dull and ringy/edgy DVD out now is really sub-par.

DTS would help ease the double-dip as well... Would love some "Rocky Horror" or "Footloose" style remixing/remastering for this title.

HD would help even MORE...

:D

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
You would think they would want to get a S.E. out. It will sell tons...if they do it right.
Cast reunion would be nice.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I remember selling my digipak set about 2 years ago when it was hinted that this title would be revisisted.

I got it for free as a Columbia House promotion, but cannot see to purchase the current DVD in it's existing state. Not now that I've made the jump to front projection and surround sound.

It's frustrating because Grease is one of my favorite movies ever and one that I've always closely regarded since childhood when I used to watch it regularly with my mom as a kid. It was probably my first ever home video purchase in the early days of VHS.

I really want to see this movie done justice on DVD!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The 2-LP album was the first LP recording I ever bought with my own money. I remember playing it OVER and OVER and staring at the fold-out cover for hours on end...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks