What's new

Any news on Forbidden Planet coming to Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the HD-DVD and it looks amazing. I just got into Blu Ray, so I was curious when this will be on BD too.

The Hi Def Digest site shows it as pending.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Heaven only knows!?! It could be a long wait. I decided to purchase a HD-DVD version cheaply to tide me over.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
This is one title I'm especially glad to have on HD DVD as it could be years before it makes an appearance on BD (particularly if we count from its release on HD DVD).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Why do you think of it as a "tide over"? As long as one has a working HDDVD player, there's no "tiding over" involved (it's extremely unlikely that Warner would do a new transfer or add features for BR).

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
What leads you to believe it would possibly be years? The existing transfer and features could just easily be ported over to Blu-Ray

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Well, you know these Media Companies - they have to have the 199% ABSOLUTELY perfect marketing opportunity to release catalog titles. And only the GODS know when that will occur for "Forbidden Planet" ;) ;) :eek:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A BD release could be when they release the theatrical remake. But I hope it's a lot sooner.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have a feeling WB's will get all the titles that were released on HD-DVD released by the end of the year on BLU-RAY to finish the titles off, and catch up. If the materials are there for the release no use pushing back on making money.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Yup, that's the only thing the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still was good for
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
But if the title didn't make as much money as they wanted/thought it would on HD DVD, then they may not rush out to release it on Blu-ray if they expect it to do similar sales - especially with the state of the economy now vs. when the HD DVD was released.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I watched the DVD yesterday (upscaled) and was amazed by how good it looked. I never saw the HD-DVD, but I imagine it was sublime to behold. I really hope this title shows up on Blu sooner rather than later.

Anne Francis in HD? I am SO there. :D

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Forbidden Planet is one of the few remaining caveats of getting suckered into the HD DVD format.

I'm in no rush for a BD now unless my player suddenly craps out.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thought i would pop this up and see if anyone has heard any more about FORBIDDEN PLANET. Would be a nice title to have on Blu.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if anniversary dates for this title are meaningless to Warner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks