Any news on a possible "Tin Drum" reissue?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kevin Leonard, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

I realize Kino issued this years ago, apparently as a Special Edition (isolated score, photos, storyboards, etc.)...but that version seems to have gone OOP.

It's been a long time since I've seen this, and I would love to watch it again. But I don't know if I'm willing to pay $60 or whatever the price is these days on used/auction sites.

Anybody know if this film will be reissued in the future, either by Kino or another company? Having the extras would be nice, but just owning it in widescreen would be great.

Any and all help would be welcome.

2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Kevin,
    I have heard rumors that Kino has signed a deal with Criterion (similar to the one Wellspring signed) and that Criterion may be releasing a new DVD version of The Tin Drum. I don't know how reliable this info is ...

3. Kevin Leonard

Ah, many thanks for the info, Deepak.
    Both Kino and Criterion are tops in my book, so a release from either would be fantastic! [​IMG]

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The information is correct and came straight from KINO president's mouth. [​IMG]

5. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

Interesting. I wonder what else from the Kino catalog will get the Criterion treatment. I know Criterion said they hoped to do Pandora's Box...Kino has Diary of a Lost Girl...would make a nice Louise Brooks two-fer set...

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I'd certainly love to see this, mainly just to show my support for it. (Wasn't the film banned in Oklahoma?)

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

8. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Quote:
    "The information is correct and came straight from KINO president's mouth."
    Having been the one to first receive this great news from Mr. Donald Krim, President of Kino On Video, in response to a query I made about their now-OOP DVD edition of THE TIN DRUM, I would like to direct your attention to the following link in another Forum (in which I am registered as MARROD): http://www.criteriondvd.com/forum/to...riterion+Discs
    So, yes, the news is more or less official but there was no mention of a date when this might be released. Let's hope it happens soon, because I have never watched this modern classic and Criterion is certainly the best way to do it - especially considering that the old Kino disc cost just as much as any Criterion DVD - and let's hope they can add other supplements as well. How about an interview with co-screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere, like the ones he did for Criterion's Bunuel DVDs?

9. Kevin Leonard

Thank you for the info, Roderick!
    I think it'll be awhile before Criterion releases this one, considering all the projects on their plate at the moment, but it'll be a release to look forward to.
    And welcome to the forum. [​IMG]

10. Sean Cullen

Sean Cullen Agent

Is there any recent news about this?

11. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

12. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Checked for this title a couple of times last week on EBAY. Whoa....I ALMOST became one of those people who happily pay exorbant prices for an OOP title, blissfully unaware of the shiny new and improved version that is about to materialize!

Last saw this film around 15 years ago and various visual images remain in my mind...clear as the day I saw them. A very powerful visual experience. An acquired taste though...to be sure, all of the other people I know who ever watched it with me hated it.

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll be glad to add this one to my library.

13. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Lee Kline has just confirmed the upcoming release during the HTF chat, and he also said the disc will feature a new 5.1 mix, supervised by the director.....