What's new

Any news on a Carol Burnett Show DVD? (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Speaking of Carol.....Happy Birthday! It's never nice to reveal a lady's age, but a quick google search will tell you that next year she'll have a milestone b-day.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As we all know, Lucille Ball died on Carol Burnett's 56th birthday. It's hard to believe that Lucy has been gone 23 years now. It's even harder to believe that Carol Burnett, who as a child I remember liking so much on STANLEY (NBC, 1956-57), when she was only 23 years old, is one year away from being 80! She's now more than a year older than Lucy was when she died.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Will Krupp said:
.......... but oh how I HATED that special when it aired!  :f
I have never seen that particular special!! I recall it being on and I had to work. I just figured that it would be rerun at some point. As far as I know, it was shown that one time and has never been seen since!!! I don't even recall it airing on any cable channel!!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The "Eunice" special is available on YouTube. I Believe that it has possibly been rerun at least once but I'm not sure. I'm guessing it was pulled from airing after Mama's Family was created.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
So perhaps that "Enuice/Family" special may be one of the various extras that will turn up in one of the new sets. That's a question for TimeLife I guess.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
So perhaps that "Enuice/Family" special may be one of the various extras that will turn up in one of the new sets. That's a question for TimeLife I guess.
I would love for the "Eunice" special to be included on the DVD CBS Ultimate set. This was a great special! Although it wasn't as funny as the skits on the CBS show. From what I remember. It was more dramatic (especially the 3/4th act) then the usual comedy flare of the variety show. However, Carol Burnett's performance in this special was well worth it.....she was outstanding!!! I would definitely love to see this on the new DVD set, but I think this special aired in 1982....which was about 4 years after CBS went off the air. Don't know if there might be 2 different companies involved who owns the rights to this special verses the variety show series?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Don't expect to see "Eunice" included. That's a long shot. But I'd settle for a separate release since Mama's Family has stalled on DVD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Rain said:
Don't expect to see "Eunice" included. That's a long shot. But I'd settle for a separate release since Mama's Family has stalled on DVD.
Why not? Different ownership? I doubt it's music rights.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by David Rain /t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/60#post_3922273

If the release that was put out turned out to be intact, the show would have gotten a lot more traction.

Anyway, I remember watching the reruns with my parents way back when I was younger and my father would die laughing at almost everything that happened. This would be a fantastic gift for him (and for me).

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Well here we have a Pre-order site and a release date...
A few new details...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-The-Ultimate-Collection/17037
TIME LIFE UNVEILS DETAILS FOR THE 22-DVD MEGA - SET
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION
FAIRFAX, VA.; JUNE 1, 2012 - The DVD collectors set that fans of classic TV have been waiting for is finally coming out as Time Life will now start taking pre-orders for THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION. The 22-DVD set contains 50 episodes from the award-winning and influential TV series, featuring the funniest and most beloved characters and sketches, including:
Went with the Wind
Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins
As the Stomach Turns
Carol & Sis
The Family
Nora Desmond
The Oldest Man
The Hollow Hero
Kitchen Commercials
Everybody wanted to be a guest on The Carol Burnett Show, and featured on the Ultimate Collection DVD set are the funniest and most talented people in the business, including: Betty White, Carl Reiner, Steve Martin, Lily Tomlin, Joan Rivers, Bernadette Peters, Sammy Davis Jr., Alan Alda, Dick Van Dyke, Shirley MacLaine, Rock Hudson, Vincent Price, Phil Silvers, Joel Grey, The Smothers Brothers, Stiller & Meara, Tony Randall and many others.
In addition to the classic sketches the Ultimate Collection also boasts over 400 musical performances, including many tributes to the musical theatre and movies Carol grew up with.
The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection is host to over twelve robust hours of exclusive bonus features, including:
Three episodes from The Garry Moore Show where Carol got her start, including the "Supergirl" episode, where Carol did her Tarzan yell, for the first time on television.
Rare sketches from the first five seasons of The Carol Burnett Show, not seen anywhere in over 40 years. Included are guest appearances by Lucille Ball, Jerry Lewis, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, plus one of the most beloved sketches in the history of the show: "The Dentist," with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway.
A raucous 100-minute Cast Reunion with Carol, Vicki Lawrence, Tim Conway and Lyle Waggoner.
Exclusive featurettes on The Ultimate Collection include:
"I Want to Push That Button..." - The History of The Carol Burnett Show
Leading Lady - Carol as a Television Pioneer
"Bring Up the Lights" - Carol's Q&As
Focus on "The Family"
"Ahhhh, Mrs. Ha-Wiggins?" - As in "Tudball and Wiggins"
Starlet, Mildred, and More - A Celebration of the Movie Parodies
Next Stop, Broadway - About the "Mini-musicals"
Breaking Up Is Hard...Not to Do - The Ensemble Chemistry and Famous "break-ups" on The Carol Burnett Show
"Where Do You Get Your Ideas?" - A Tribute to the Writers on The Carol Burnett Show
Gags and Gowns - A Tribute to Designer Bob Mackie
All together, Time Life interviewed over twenty people as part of the Bonus Feature production...including guests from the show (Betty White, Carl Reiner, Jerry Lewis, Ken Berry, Rita Moreno, Steve Lawrence, Lainie Kazan and Joel Grey); writers (Kenny Solms, Gail Parent, Ken and Mitzi Welch); designer Bob Mackie; and current performers influenced by Carol (Ellen DeGeneres, Jane Lynch and Amy Poehler). Complete interviews of all cast-members, crew, guests and fans will be included in the bonus features of The Ultimate Collection.
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW debuted on CBS in 1967 and ran for 11 years, receiving 25 Emmy Awards five Golden Globes, and 12 People's Choice Awards, making it one of the most honored shows in television history. TIME Magazine named THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW one of the "100 Best Television Shows of all Time," and Carol Burnett has been honored with more People's Choice Awards than any other actress.
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION is now available for pre-order!
https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MicroSiteCView?langId=-1&storeId=1001&catalogId=10001&catEntryId=1339501&productPage=carol.html&header=nh.gif&sourcekey=Y11GGSNVTV&mediacode=search&s_kwcid=TC%7C9820%7Ccarol%20burnett%20show%20dvd%7C%7CS%7Cb%7C12126354563&gclid=CMvapZKNw7ACFQ5bhwodrzQXpg
$200 for the big set... Yikes!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I spoke to TimeLife Operator today. She says the "buy in 5 installments" option means they only bill the first $39.99 + Free Shippping and tax for the entire sale if you're in one of their tax states - before the item ships, at the end of July. Then they autobill again every 3 weeks. A little surprising they don't hold delivery until all the payments are in. Also counted the weeks and in October is when you get billed twice. So you basically get three months to pay for it - while you are watching it.
She had no further information regarding episode listings, only saying they will keep updating their site.
I still wonder if the fact that this set has sketches from the first 5 years means the ownership issues are cleared up and the only remaining obstacle wold be the hefty music fees.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
MattH. said:
My absolute favorite "Family" sketch was when the group was cleaning out Mama's attic. Betty White's character is taking all of the good stuff and when Eunice complains, Mama tries to compensate with lesser stuff. I also adored the one where Maggie Smith played Bubba's teacher.
That's one of the best 'Family' skits ever, and also a favorite of mine. And amazingly enough, on the sequel TV series Mama's Family, Bubba does get straightened out, somewhat-but by Mama Harper.
NY2LA said:
Remember when they go to visit brother Phillip, (Roddy McDowall, full accent intact) in Hollywood? Phil is a big shot with a great house and an amazing life, he's offering them the royal treatment, and they're all too busy bickering and too shortsighted to appreciate any of it. It takes them a while to realize he's gotten exasperated and left. Mama sums it up with "Phillip never did have any sense of family."
And the 'Family' reminds me of the Seinfeld characters in that regard.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/60#post_3918885
Remember when they go to visit brother Phillip, (Roddy McDowall, full accent intact) in Hollywood? Phil is a big shot with a great house and an amazing life, he's offering them the royal treatment, and they're all too busy bickering and too shortsighted to appreciate any of it. It takes them a while to realize he's gotten exasperated and left. Mama sums it up with "Phillip never did have any sense of family."

I've always remembered this dialogue from Eunice in that sketch:

"Even when we was kids, Philip'd read one of them poems he'd written in English class, that nobody could make head or tails out of, and everyone would go 'ooh' and 'aah.' But the minute I'd come home from Miss Pudeball's Expression Class and try to show off some of my expressions to the family, that room would CLEAR wouldn't it? Like rats from a sinkin' ship!"

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
I've always remembered this dialogue from Eunice in that sketch:
"Even when we was kids, Philip'd read one of them poems he'd written in English class, that nobody could make head or tails out of, and everyone would go 'ooh' and 'aah.'  But the minute I'd come home from Miss Pudeball's Expression Class and try to show off some of my expressions to the family, that room would CLEAR wouldn't it?  Like rats from a sinkin' ship!" 
LOL!!!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I gotta tell you, $200 is an enormous purchase for me, not at all a good idea right now... However, the value in this box set is pretty clear to me, and I've been wanting something like this for SO LONG. There are really only two shows I bought the entire series of, and they only lasted 1.5 and 5 seasons. I have only two of Lucy, one Odd Couple, etc... But I am seriously thinking of ordering this based on the 5 payment option... Anyone else on the fence or ready to order based on all we know right now?
PS: How many people would subscribe to a channel or a streaming option that would duplicate CBS' 1973 Saturday Night lineup?
All In The Family
M*A*S*H
Mary Tyler Moore
The Bob Newhart Show
The Carol Burnett Show

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/90#post_3938009
I gotta tell you, $200 is an enormous purchase for me, not at all a good idea right now... However, the value in this box set is pretty clear to me, and I've been wanting something like this for SO LONG. There are really only two shows I bought the entire series of, and they only lasted 1.5 and 5 seasons. I have only two of Lucy, one Odd Couple, etc... But I am seriously thinking of ordering this based on the 5 payment option... Anyone else on the fence or ready to order based on all we know right now?
PS: How many people would subscribe to a channel or a streaming option that would duplicate CBS' 1973 Saturday Night lineup?
All In The Family
M*A*S*H
Mary Tyler Moore
The Bob Newhart Show
The Carol Burnett Show

I'm not sure there will ever be a line-up of quality like that ever again on broadcast TV.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Oh, I'm sure. There won't.
I remember the Saturday night when I first saw "Chuckles Bites the Dust," followed later by a great Family sketch on Carol Burnett.
I can't imagine anything on TV now that I'll be talking about forty years from now. (Of course, considering I'll be 102 forty years from now, I doubt I'll be talking about much of anything.)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/90#post_3938009
All In The Family
M*A*S*H
Mary Tyler Moore
The Bob Newhart Show
The Carol Burnett Show
I seem to think that Nick At Night or TV Land did a tribute to the CBS Saturday night lineup several years ago. Just like there will never be a single show that captivates a nation like "I Love Lucy," I can't imagine a lineup ever duplicating this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks