What's new

Any news about Ren & Stimpy on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well yes you could make that statement, I'm not sure how they could be much better considering the source. They look basically like they've always looked grainy, with assorted dust, nicks , scratches , etc. It's hard to comment on Transfer here because I know the source just ain't that great. I would've preferred a season set, but I can't argue $9 a disk for some of the better toons. There's about 8 eps per disk T/L is counting the small "Coomercials" i.e. Log etc as toons in the 14 total they quote

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It was on the doorstep when I got home, but I held it back for the wife. She just got in and popped in Stimpy's Invention.

I agree about the quality, but that's not stopping my enjoyment one iota. I'm typing this between guffaws!! :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well they are definately the Later Nik versions. I was watching Powdered Toastman tonight , and Frank Zappa is billed as : The Funny little Guy in the Pointy Hat and not as originally billed as the Pope. Also the scene where toastman burns the Constitution is cut so you do not see the name of the document. Again these are the eps that played after the initial first run.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Well they are definately the Later Nik versions. I was watching Powdered Toastman tonight , and Frank Zappa is billed as : The Funny little Guy in the Pointy Hat and not as originally billed as the Pope. Also the scene where toastman burns the Constitution is cut so you do not see the name of the document. Again these are the eps that played after the initial first run.
Dave,

You obviously know more about these episodes than I do. Is these type of change consistent throughout the set? This troubles me a great deal and I will return my set. These were billed as completed uncut and your statement says otherwise.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Basically they are the versions everyone remembers from Nick. There was some uproar after the initial run of some eps, thinga got editted that slipped by the first time. From then on out they were the versions as they aired. I would'nt get rid of the disks, they'll hold over until a more definitive version gets released.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I sent some questions to Time-Life through their web form. I mentioned the uncut issues, and game them a link to this thread.

I wonder if they thought they were getting the original uncut ones, and didn't know the difference. I would hope the originals are floating out there somewhere. I also would not think Nickelodeon would care about the issue.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I would'nt get rid of the disks, they'll hold over until a more definitive version gets released.
I couldn't disagree more. It sends more of a message if they start getting returns when the product is not as advertised. Otherwise it makes us look like morons if we are too stupid to know the difference, and are willing to settle for a substandard product.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The picture quality may be pretty bad (see that dot crawl go!), and the episodes are indeed the cut versions. But these dvds will do me very nicely until remastered uncut season sets are released. I won't hold my breath though...

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The funny thing about the IN THE ARMY ep being editied on Spike TV is that they did not edit out an offensive scene. They just cut it for time, it seems.

Tim Shumway

Auditioning
recieved mine. Ive only had time to watch one disc.the quality is just bearable.Also the packaging is a disappointment.NO BOX! just three individual cases.
Does anyone know why they are not in the dvd profiler database yet. tried to add them but the upcs come up unknown?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Every entry at DVD Profiler has been submitted by a member (I've submitted my share, for sure)--they are not downloaded from a huge database cued to the UPC. To add an entry never submitted, click your "Owned" tab, then the "Add" button. Now uncheck the box that says "Download profile from IVS", then enter the info manually.

Or you can email me with the UPCs and the titles & I can enter them myself (my set hasn't arrived yet). After you submit a new title (in this case, three) it can take up to several days before they'll be entered into the system for other users.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Unchecking the download profile box is only for making unsubmittable manual entries. TO enter by UPC, just enter the UPC, then enter it again with the title and locality in the dialogue box that comes up. You will then have an empty profile to work on.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
After watching the first disc, I felt a bit disappointed. I guess it's just not the same as it was 10 years ago when I was watching it in the dorm with a bunch of friends, usually blown out of our minds on LSD.

And yeah, the censorship bugs me. Not that I remember the episodes a certain way, but that Constitution joke for example is totally ruined. Without knowing it's supposed to be the Constitution, it becomes a very dull and pointless little bit of business.

Oh well. I'll probably watch 'em once and then off to eBay.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I can't BELIEVE the Powdered Toastman episode is cut...extraordinarily lame. Luckily I've got that extremely valuable VHS dupe of the broadcast premiere...

What other R&S cartoons were intact on first run but later cut by Nick?

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Mine supposedly shipped 3 weeks ago today yet I still haven't received it. Time to call Time-Life I guess. I know the shipping was free, but 3 weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks