What's new

Any NEW boxes for switching dvd-a/sacd ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Are there any new devices out there to switch between SACD and DVD-A ? (I know about the radio shack boxes, but I was wondering if there's anything new out there).

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There are some switch boxes available from MCM electronics that are somewhat higher quality (at least in terms of fit and finish) than the RS boxes. I had posted a link some time ago but could not find now. They were about $10 each.

These A/V switchers will actually switch 4 devices. As with the RS box, you will need two boxes, but you could conceivably switch 4 separate 5.1 sources.

I have two that I use to switch a Pioneer 45a, and another DD decoder into an ICBM. They are transparent to my ears, although I am sure some will disagree.

BGL

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't bought the players yet, I'd suggest waiting to see what the next generation of universal players bring.

Denon may be the first to offer a universal player (DVD-2900) that keeps DSD bitstreams intact all the way through with no conversion (even some SACD-only players convert it to PCM at some stage). I'm sure more will follow. And then next year look for player transports with standardized (finally) IEEE 1394 connections so you don't have to buy 6 or more analog cords (once you hook it to a new receiver or pre-amp with the decoding built-in).

Dan

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I believe the Yamaha keeps the DSD bitstream intact for the whole process as well, thats why it dosent offer time allignment on SACD.

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
I'm using a Shawn Fogg Switchbox and think it work perfect. I've also used a TA-P9000es but did not want to run my amps that way. I started with the RS switchers and they worked fine but wanted to be able switch via remote control.

BTW, i have 2 of the RS switches #15-1587 that I'll trade for a DVD-A or multi SACD.:)

Here's a link to the Fogg Box:

http://home.attbi.com/~shawnfogg/

James Elvick

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
James,

In your opinion, is there a sonic difference between the RS switches and the Shawn Fogg box? Certainly, the Fogg box looks snazzier, but does it make a difference?

I am considering either buying his box or creating my own box using 4PDT switches, gold-plated RCA jacks, and lots of wire and solder-- but only if there is a significant difference in the sound quality.

Elias

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Not only does the Fogg Box look snazzier, it can be triggered remotely, so you don't have to manually switch between SACD and DVDA. I find this a BIG convenience. It works great with my RDC-7A and is well worth the dough IMHO.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I admit the Fogg Box looks nice... though I am curious about anyone using the JVC JX-S111 as a 7.1 switch in one box (it is unclear if you can select multiple sources for the multiple monitor/zone outputs). If it does, it seems like it may be a pretty good deal for approx 80USD.

M.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would give this a shot before the RS switch:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/Newark...jsp?id=50-6195

I doubt that it would sound any better or worse (actually, I don't think switches sound like anything) but the build quality is lot better (its got a steel case), and the rotary switch has a nice feel to it.

I have a 4 input version that works fine in my rig. I was unable to find the RS boxes locally, went on-line and found these. You will need 2.

Brian

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
How would the JVC box work? I could only count a possible 5 RCA inputs you could switch, L&R audio, and the three components.

Steve

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I am unclear on the way the JVC works... I have been told that it has two sets of inputs and outputs... and if they were discrete it would have a lot of switching possibilities (not sure if I am being a bonehead... but it seems kinda unique ;-)

M.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
The admin at the QUADRAPHONIC forum does not recommend using AV switches due to the fact that the video input was not meant for audio and therfore provide a low quality sound ?....I've read many forum members here are happy with the Radio shack boxes. Has anyone noticed any change in sound quality ?...the last thing I want to do is mess up the sound on my new 222ES :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The admin at the QUADRAPHONIC forum does not recommend using AV switches due to the fact that the video input was not meant for audio and therefore provide a low quality sound
My advise: Buy one, try it, and make your own call. The cost is so cheap you really have nothing to lose.

I have noticed no degradation whatsoever with the MCM switches previously noted. That said, I have also not done any sort of scientific A/B/X testing or any measurements between switched and unswitched. My ears are very happy with what they are hearing.

Then again, I am also an unwashed heathen who thinks that cable is cable, and any claims to the contrary are total and absolute BS:D So, knowing that, I am sure you will apply the appropriate filters to my views.

I too have read supposed "engineering" analyses of why a switch will degrade the sound, dealing with issues of channel isolation, crosstalk, bandwidth, etc. I take it all with a heavy dose of skepticism. I suspect that if you open up one of these boxes, you will probably find nothing but a PCB with a bunch of copper traces, attached to the actual switches and jacks. It may even be a total hard-wire job, but I should think that would be somewhat labor intensive to buld and sell for < $10.

IMHO, AFAIK, YMMV......

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sony switch box with audio and video paths. I opened it up because I was curious as to how it was wired, and voila, the video path was indentical to the audio paths...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have to be honest too: we all get freaked out by using cheap cables and stuff right? But this sucker had little wires etched onto one of those green circuit boards. Ain't no way that it was better than even 22 gauge I bet. Makes me wonder what kind of wiring is inside even good quality receivers, pre/pros, power amps and stuff...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
While everyone is looking for more expensive and "snazzier" switch boxes (;)), I've been using the $15 Radio Shack switch boxes for over a year and continue to be very happy with them. Frankly, this is one item in this hobby that it makes no sense to spend big money on. Just my $0.02. The Radio Shack switch boxes aren't fancy and have no remote, but they work and work well.

Dan said:

I'd suggest waiting to see what the next generation of universal players bring.
Yeah, a universal player could act as a switch box. Nice job of thinking outside of the box(es)! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks