What's new

Any more news on Masters of the Universe (He Man)? (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Thanks for providing all that information, David! Its good to have someone knowledgeable to clarify the sometimes confusing world of TV DVD.

It would be great if BCI could be a new home for 80s cartoons on DVD, as Rhino seems to be the only other studio really interested. I had heard that The Real Ghostbusters could also be a possible release for BCI, which would be very welcome (though Masters of the Universe should come first)!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Casey, for the compliments. Actually, I think your rewording is much better and more to the point! :)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Good strategy Dave, always keeping us wanting more :) I know you can't say but I'm guessing (and hoping) Thundercats?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I have another guess, Voltron, but I'd actually prefer Thundercats! This is a great time to be a fan of 80s shows. Guess they're figuring out that the children of the 80s love buying their old faves on DVD.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I thought it might be Voltron too but then I realized we already had news on it back in August. Either way, I'd love to have season sets of both on DVD!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think that report may be getting The Real Ghostbusters (which was based on the popular movie and not made by Filmation) confused with either "The Ghost Busters" or "Ghostbusters". Filmation's first Ghostbusters show was made before the movie came out. At one point during the production of the movie, it looked as if they weren't going to be able to use the title "Ghostbusters", but I guess they worked it out. (I think this was mentioned in the movie's DVD commentary.) I'm guessing this is also why the cartoon based on the movie had to be called "The Real Ghostbusters".

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Well,not being a Fat Albert fan (well, at least enough to keep up on the DVD release), I'm not sure what they are complaining about. But I myself would have zero problem with porting the current R2 DVDs to NTSC.

Just apply the same process that the Doctor Who discs go through - the UK disc and the US disc are the exact same thing (barring the occasional extra extra), just scaled back 3% slower for the PAL/NTSC conversion.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Why not just go straight to the video masters and restore them properly for R1 rather than porting over the UK PAL transfers and sacrificing resolution?

I'm not behind that at all...

and as for the Filmation Ghostbuster series...

Bring it on!!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't "Doctor Who" shot in PAL format? If so, then there was no other choice but to do a PAL to NTSC conversion. But most likely He-Man was shot on film, so they should use that for the source, because it will result in a better quality transfer.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I've been a long time reader of this forum and thought this would be a good time to finally post. A lot of people seem to knock Rhino, but I think they did a good job with the sets released. The extra sound effects didn't bother me at all. If they had gotten the license at least we know we'd be getting nice box sets.

With that said,since Rhino won't be releasing the series now would be a good time for people to let BCI Eclipse know what they want. I'm not sure how far along they are in the process, but if people want box sets they should contact the company and give them feedback. Now would also be a good time to let them know any concerns we might have. I'm worried they might use PAL sources instead of NTSC and we wind up with the same problems the Fat Albert set has.

Does that mean no GI Joe Season 2 Part 2?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
They haven't started producing anything yet; they just signed the initial agreement shortly before this news hit.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Just wondering, are the Fat Albert dvd's bad enough that I should'nt pick them up? What exactly is wrong with them?

Also, I have the first two After School Specials sets and I really love them. I guess I'm not a true videophile because I'm use to old vhs rental copies and convention copies, so as long as the He-Man discs are clean and good enough to enjoy and are not edited for any lame reasons I'll buy them.

I have the four vhs videos that came with the recent action figures and they're pretty good, so if the dvds are as good or better I'll be happy!:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

4? I have 5:
  • Diamond Ray of Disappearance
  • Dragon Invasion
  • Into the Abyss
  • The Problem with Power
  • To Save Skeletor

Additionally, I have 3 from the new, most recent version of the show:
  • The Courage of Adam
  • Dragon's Brood
  • The World of He-Man
The last one isn't an episode, but actually it's more rather like a long advertisement (26 min) for the new show.

I agree that the quality of the VHS's from the original show are darn good, and if I could just get those masters put onto DVD so I don't get the VHS-type artifacts I'll be pretty pleased.

Joe:C

Second Unit
Since there were two 65 episode "seasons" this could be split into four box sets.
Set 1: 32 episodes
Set 2: 33 episodes
Set 3: 32 episodes
Set 4: 33 episodes

They could also release cheap single disc releases along with the box sets.

Didn't the Diamond Ray of Disappearance VHS have a slight edit?

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

I missed that one. :frowning:
BUT I do have one of the columbia/rca vhs thanks to ebay.

But what about the fat albert dvd's are they worth it?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Here's an interesting bit I picked up from the Message Boards on the very comprehensive He-Man.org site. A dedicated fan named James Eatock (also known as Busta Toons on the site) has done Special Features for some of the UK releases. In the message, he previews the yet-unreleases Vol. 7, which includes such special features as an animatic, deleted scenes (unusual for this kind of cartoon), and a 40 minute interview with Robert Lamb, one of the creative powers behind the show.

Eatock also mentions, "I'm in talks with BCI Eclipse to try and make the extras worthwhile". That's no guarantee of anything, but it at least indicates that BCI is actively looking into potential extras and talking to people who care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks