What's new

Any more Cronenberg Criterion releases in the works? (1 Viewer)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
The Videodrome release was so good that I cannot imagine Criterion not making a similar effort for Cronenberg's older films. I'd ordinarily pass on them, but would plump for a Criterion release any day.

Any idea if Naked Lunch and Videodrome are just the tip of the iceberg? The current Scanners release isn't worth it just for the film to me and I'd love a commentary to go with it!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Cronenberg (in a virtual tie with David Lynch) is my favorite director, and I'd love to see every film he's made get Criterion treatment, except for eXistenZ, which already has incredible SE treatment. As far as I know, there are no more Cronenberg Criterions in the works at this time, but I'd welcome them with open arms, especially a Crash Criterion. Hopefully there will be more. I got lucky with the Dead Ringers Criterion, getting ahold of it right before it went OOP.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

You're mistaken. The current edition is a barebones release (trailer only). The commentary was stripped from the Canadian DVD years ago.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Crash was rumoured to be part of the recent New Line deal that included titles like Short Cuts, Naked and My Own Private Idaho, but there's been no official confirmation yet.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Well, aside from the need for a SE R1 release of eXistenZ (Criterion, you've got access!!!!), Shivers needs a serious replacement. Also, I figure with the upcoming production of a Scanners remake, MGM will inevitably do a new edition of the original.

Btw, Fox has been hinting for a while that The Fly would be getting Collector's Edition treatment soon. Considering that it is VERY likely that Criterion has Crash, I think that just leaves M. Butterfly... right?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for M. Butterfly and a 16x9 Dead Ringers from Warners. I've got the Criterion LDs of Dead Ringers and Crash (as well as the New Line DVD; the Crash LD is a known rotter).

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. The Canadian DVD has very pleasing, extensive extras, and there was no way I was going to settle for Dimension's barebones disc.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I just got a copy of the Canadian release about 6 months ago from Amazon.Ca and it had all of the commentary tracks intact. I have no interest in a Criterion release of this one since I can't imagine the Alliance release could be improved on.

I'm still amazed that the Criterion DVD of Naked Lunch has a different commentary track from that of the Japanese R2 release. The R2 is just Cronenberg by himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks