What's new

Any job recommendations for 16 yr old? (1 Viewer)

John Torrez

Second Unit
Don't work at Wal-Mart, Don't work at Wal-Mart, Don't work at Wal-Mart, and Don't work at Wal-Mart. Trust me, it's more like Wally Hell.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hm, music stores, Supermarkets, stockboy somewhere... damn i need a job myself..

Cam S

Screenwriter
What about a Golf Course, or a landscaping company or lawn maintenance. I spent 6 years at a golf course, on the grounds crew and at the pro shop, great fun.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I once answered phones for a clothing catalog in High school. It was really boring but probably the easiest money I ever made in my life. Since you live in Virginia, maybe you could look into being a caddy or someone who washes carts at a golf course. Another place that hires younger people are hardware stores. And of course I would always check the hard to get jobs due to demand, music stores and arcades/video game stores. If you are a sharp looking guy you should have a good chance, unlike me who was a total slacker in high school. That's why I worked for a clothing catalog. "Hello, this is Jed, thank you for calling *name the catalog* How may I assist you today?" That was my life for a year...

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
see if fedex or UPS is hiring package handlers in your area maybe?
Great idea! From what I've heard they are some of the best company's to work for. I've known people who were in college with a part time job at UPS handling packages and said screw college and just kept working there, eventually going full time. Thier benefits and pay are excellent.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Thier benefits and pay are excellent.
I think UPS offers benefits for colelge students. The pay is pretty good, when I lived in portland they hired at about 9.50 or so.
luckily for me it's a tiny office here so they don't hire many handlers :frowning:

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah, the starting pay isn't the greatest, but one of the guys I know that started has a part time handler is now making $22/hr in delivery. So if you hang in there long enough (2-3 years) it starts to pay off.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, UPS pays well for part time work, but it is very HARD labor. You are talking about throwing 1250-1400 pieces per hour and in the hot summer, it can get nasty. The trucks open up and the 120 degree air hits your face like an oven. You have to climb in and start tossing packages onto the conveyer belt and truck rollers. You get one 15 minute break in a 4-5 hour shift. It really does wear you out making the rest of your day a little tiring. I worked their for 8 months during the summer and into the next college semester. All I can say is that I could not plan an activity during the day that required any strenuous exercise as it would kill me that night at UPS.

C. Ryan

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I would second a golf course - it is outside and most courses will let you on for free in the late afternoon.

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I'll third the golf course. I worked in a pro-shop for many years and it was the second best job I ever had.

I worked as a stock boy in a supermarket one winter (no working the winter for a golf course) - but that lasted about 1 month before I quit. I hated that job.

Greg

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I also worked in a Country Club Pro Shop. We could play on Mondays and a couple afternoons during the week. Also, the chef would make a free lunch for the staff every day. It was great fun. If there aren't any golf course jobs available, check your local gov't's recreation deparment. Our town has supervised playgrounds, and high school kids work for the summer by organizing crafts and games for the little kids.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I got red cross certified, and was a lifeguard during my teenage summers. It was a great job; I worked at a local apartment complex, and nothing ever really happened. And I often was invited to barbecues that the tennents were having :)
Lots of girls too. Not to mention that Red Cross certification never hurts on your resume later.
In the winter months, I worked at a local baseball card shop.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
My Great Aunts use to tell me when I was around that age, "enjoy life now, because once you start working, you'll work till you die or are too old to enjoy it"
They were 100% right and I am glad I waited.
Just my 2 cents, but good luck
Grant

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'll suggest a job that will serve you down the road. Or something you can stick with.
For example. Work for a small internet company as a mail room or even entry-level web design. Even better would be something that exposes you to Database use/admin.
Trust me, by the time you get out of high school, you could have skills and/or experience to merit 40k+ per year.
All of this while air-conditioned, and being respected for your work, rather then just as another body to flip burgers.
Bottom line, any job you take now that you can keep while in school or on summers will be a BIG career help. Even if it's not at the same company, but within the same field.
Put it this way, using a different career path, but illustratng my point. I used to work at Disney World.
I met guys there who started when they were 15 or 16 as hourly employees. They took many different jobs and roles over the years, and somtimes were part-time rather than full-time. In the end, there were guys who at 36 were RETIRING from Disney with pensions, and moving onto other fields or companies.
So, find a job with a company big enough to move around and grow in, or in an INDUSTRY you can move around and grow in, while maintaining continuity of skills and experience.
Let your friends sell CD's, while you work in an office and buy your first house at 21. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
How about a movie rental store? Half the reason I fell in love with movies/home theater is ebcause my brother and sister both worked at a local video rental store. I got free movies for MANY years.

...Of course this wasn't blockbuster or hollywood video and it might be tough to find a good mom + pop store near you. Then again, maybe blockbuster or hollywood video wouldn't be too bad?

Greg

JoelBdeau

Grip
If I were 16 again I would probally work for some kind of auto mechanic/garage. I wish I knew more about cars and by having a job in this field you will know all the ways a mechanic can screw you. I hate going to a mechanic and mostly just having to take his word for it. I know some stuff but there is alot more I could know.
Or just work at a golf course and have a more relaxing summer. Caddy's make good money and you will get a tan in the process.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread