any Jamie Cullum (twentysomething) listeners?

Discussion in 'Music' started by NickSo, Jun 12, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    After reading an article in the paper a few days ago, i went ahead and picked up Jamie Cullum's new CD twentysomething.

For fans of more mainstream jazz like Norah Jones, Nellie Mckay and the like (like me for instance), you'll probably enjoy this CD. He's a young brit fellow who's already very well known in England, and is just starting to gain some recognition here.

I'd like to hear from you guys, since I'm not a big jazz enthusiast, but I do know I enjoy this CD.

Also, its recorded very well, all in smooth analog sound.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    nobody? ahwell, just a suggestion to check it out, it was only CAD $10, so its cheap [​IMG]

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I will say it's not bad. Picked it up on a whim after hearing it in the shop, more for the missus since she likes this sort of stuff.

4. Dale Van Minsel

Dale Van Minsel Auditioning

Has anyone compared the SACD to the redbook version? Is there an improvement? How is the surround mix?

Thanks,
    Dale

5. AricB

AricB Second Unit

still waiting to find the sacd in a local BBuy...

6. DarylA

DarylA Agent

Picked this up based on the title track. I like the swing/bop style. Overall an ok disc but am somewhat disappointed. The male version of Norah Jones. May win an award or two because of that. Sounds like early, mellow Billy Joel.

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

While I think that the redbook version is quite good, the SACD layer (2-channel) seems to lift a veil off of my speakers and presents the music with more clarity. I prefer the SACD layer if I'm in my HT room, but don't feel like I'm missing anything when I'm listening on a CD player.

Not sure...my SACD player is only hooked up in 2-channel.

8. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

I like this CD very much. I even bought his lesser known debut album and it's also very good. When you are more familiar with both artists you actually will hear no Norah Jones in him. In fact, they are miles apart from each other. "Life", however, he tends to go over the top a little. He so much wants to be an entertainer, if you know what mean. He's more subtle on his recordings and that works a whole lot better. He's an incredible self-taught pianist.

------------
    Alex Cremers

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I have the Dualdisc and like it. He doesn't have a real strong voice, but there's a sense of fun to the whole enterprise that sets it apart from other pop-jazz releases. I also like a lot of the original songs, not to mention the well-executed left-field covers and fresh arrangements of chestnuts/war horses. He even covers my favorite Jeff Buckley and Radiohead songs, so he gets an extra point for good taste. [​IMG]

Regards,