What's new

Any insider news about a possible 50th Anniversary edition of 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Well, Jack T the music tracks DO sync up - how else would they fit the film as they do in my stereo remix?

Also, by 1958, the year of Sinbads release, show me any studio that was still putting stereo sound in their ads. No one was, not even Fox for most of their stereo films.

Yes, almost all studios were recording in stereo even though the films would end up mono. Paramount was, MGM was, Fox was, Columbia, united artists - you name it.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

I'm calling BS on you, Joe. Let's assume your story is true-- then how is it that YOU know what theaters were playing SINBAD in stereo?

And again I ask-- why was Columbia that the mix you did was the original mix? It took someone ELSE to veto them putting those phony tracks on the DVD at the eleventh hour. I'm glad you're at least admitting that you mixed that track.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Jack Theakston, just a call out to say how much I enjoy your posts here - you are really informed and I for one really appreciate it. I agree with you wholeheartedly that there were never any stereo prints of Sinbad. I've recently talked to someone who had a long conversation with Ray Harryhausen and he reiterated that information, that the film was never shown in stereo anywhere.

I never had the LD of Sinbad so can't comment on its worth, but I love the mono soundtrack, which is all that should be included as that was the way the filmmakers mixed the film.

john a hunter

Screenwriter

Not by the early fifties but certainly by the time of the release of this film . Large orchestral scores were almost automatically recorded in stereo. Even Paramount who stupidly stuck to mono for VistaVision recorded the Vertigo score in stereo and I am sure others as well.
Anyway, there is no reason why the BD cannot contain both stereo and mono tracks. Let's hope they do.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't care whether or not the stereo mix is included , as long as the original mono mix actually has fullness and clarity and great dynamic range, which the original DVD does not.

Jerome

Second Unit
Here in France, the magazine Les Annees Laser (Les Années Laser - Accueil) in its last issue lists The 7th voyage of sinbad for a special edition dvd and Bluray, in the second semestre. No exact date but the info must come from the France Columbia PR.

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
the cover and announcement was shown in the program guide
of the 39th annual San Diego Comic-Con, on a several page
color advertisement(for various releases)from Sony Pictures.
it is definitely going to happen...the question is when?
scant details say it will include commentary by Harryhausen,
but no mention as to a restoration job.
(the cover looks very nice, though)!
also shown was a blu-ray triple film Harryhausen collection of
the three colorized Columbia movies already released(also, a
very cool cover on this one, too).
their web-site does not mention any of this(as of yet).
:star:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray version also! :eek: :D

DVD Times - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (US BD) in October

Sweet!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
nothing has been mentioned about a restoration
having being done on this film....
is this just a same print re-issue w/ new documentary/commentaries?
that is the big question.
:star:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Surround sound? Uh-oh! The original mono tracks aren't included? Sigh, well, hopefully they got Kathryn Grant (Crosby) to participate in the retrospective since Kerwin Mathews is no longer with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks