What's new

Any Information On Warners Releasing More John Wayne's Movies On Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Lots more John Wayne films coming to Blu-ray in the next couple months, all from Olive (licensed from Paramount): Frontier Horizon (1939) - 1/22/13 King of the Pecos (1936) - 1/22/13 Lady for a Night (1942) - 2/26/13 The Lawless Nineties (1936) - 3/26/13 A Man Betrayed (1941) - 3/26/13 McLintockl! (1963) - 3/26/13 The New Frontier (1935) - 1/22/13 The Quiet Man (1952) - 1/22/13 Westward Ho (1935) - 3/26/13 Wyoming Outlaw (1939) - 3/26/13

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Rick Thompson said:
I'm not. Except for "Reap," they're two to a disc, and "Rooster Cogburn" and "Hellfighters" are on a doube-sided disc. Typical el cheapo Universal release. As far as I'm concerned, a waste of money.
Even though 2 discs are double sided, I would recommend to all John Wayne fans to get get the Universal John Wayne Screen Legends containing Hellfighter, Rooster Cogburn, The War Wagon, Reap The Wild Wind and The Spoilers. The transfers are better and they are anamorphic widescreen. I have the original Hellfighters DVD Universal put out and it is Letterboxed and not anamorphic widescreen. The Universal John Wayne Screen Legends set DVD of Hellfighters is far superior in picture quality to the old DVD and it is Anamorphic Widescreen! The same I believe applies to Rooster Cogburn and The War Wagon! Take Care! Robert

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Rick Thompson said:
I'm not. Except for "Reap," they're two to a disc, and "Rooster Cogburn" and "Hellfighters" are on a doube-sided disc. Typical el cheapo Universal release. As far as I'm concerned, a waste of money.
Even though 2 discs are double sided, I would recommend to all John Wayne fans to get get the Universal John Wayne Screen Legends containing Hellfighter, Rooster Cogburn, The War Wagon, Reap The Wild Wind and The Spoilers. The transfers are better and they are anamorphic widescreen. I have the original Hellfighters DVD Universal put out and it is Letterboxed and not anamorphic widescreen. The Universal John Wayne Screen Legends set DVD of Hellfighters is far superior in picture quality to the old DVD and it is Anamorphic Widescreen! The same I believe applies to Rooster Cogburn and The War Wagon! Take Care! Robert

I picked up a Scandanavian BD of Hellfighters and the picture quality is quite nice with stereo music. It is region B and is 1080i/50Hz, so beware if your gear will not support this. I also purchased, but have not received, the BD of McLintock! from the same source. I ordered before I knew about the Olive release. At this point, I don't know if the foreign BD of McLintock! is 1080p or not. I'm sure it will be region B.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
MCCLOUD said:
Robert I agree with you on this box set, I picked this up several years ago for less the $15 so not much invested and films all look decent enough for sddvd Take care, Al

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Lots more John Wayne films coming to Blu-ray in the next couple months, all from Olive (licensed from Paramount):
Frontier Horizon (1939) - 1/22/13
King of the Pecos (1936) - 1/22/13
Lady for a Night (1942) - 2/26/13
The Lawless Nineties (1936) - 3/26/13
A Man Betrayed (1941) - 3/26/13
McLintockl! (1963) - 3/26/13
The New Frontier (1935) - 1/22/13
The Quiet Man (1952) - 1/22/13
Westward Ho (1935) - 3/26/13
Wyoming Outlaw (1939) - 3/26/13
Fantastic news! Olive Films is doing an incredible job of releasing Duke's "Republic" backlog of films. Would love to see Flying Tigers up next. One of Duke's lesser known war films, but imo, one of his best.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob_S. said:
I'd like to see: Red River Sands of Iwo Jima Operation Pacific
There was a cartoon hint from Criterion in 2011 I think that led many to believe that they had licensed Red River from MGM. Sands of Iwo Jima should be coming some time from Olive. Who knows when or if WB will release Operation Pacific in blu.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JoeDoakes said:
There was a cartoon hint from Criterion in 2011 I think that led many to believe that they had licensed Red River from MGM. Sands of Iwo Jima should be coming some time from Olive. Who knows when or if WB will release Operation Pacific in blu.
Yep I remember the talk of Criterion and RED RIVER. It started with the cartoon and the release of STAGECOACH in Blu. Still have hopes that the rumor is true. IMDB lists SANDS OF IWO JIMA as coming from Olive on DVD and Blu-ray. Those listings have been correct so far.

UPDATE: The Scandanavian release of McLintock! is indeed 1080i/50Hz. It also has a weird aspect ratio, about 1.95 when you get the image to look normal dimensions. Without fooling around with it, the image is about 2.75 or something and looks stretched horizontally. I used the "letterbox" mode on my projector and that's when I got it to look normal at the 1.95 ratio. So, apparently the sides are cropped from the 2.35 original AR. The picture is pretty weak as well, looking more like the included DVD (which has the proper AR)???!!! than BD. Oh, well, here's hoping the Olive release is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks