What's new

Any info or news on Sega's NHL 2K4 for the PS2? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am very much looking forward to the release of NHL 2K4 on the PS2. NHL 2K3 was easily the best NHL game I have ever played. It was by far the most realistic gameplay to date.I loved the dump and chase into the zone and the poke checks were sweet. It made EA'S NHL 2003 look like a complete joke. I will NEVER buy EA'S hockey game again unless they do a total rehaul of the game. Anyway, I am assuming that Sega will just improve upon last years version. I was wondering if there are any reviews or release dates for this yet?
My wish list is
1. 5 minute majors are a must!
2. 4 minute double minors.
3. A much,much harder AI. I have it set on the hardest setting right now and still score 6-8 goals a game.
4. At least one custom player to be added to franchise mode.
5. A couple of different intro's before the hockey game starts. Watching and listening to the same one over and over again got old.
6. Make it harder to check a guy.
7. On auto mode,roll the lines a lot quicker and keep the 3rd and 4th lines out a little longer.
If I can think of anything else to add to the list I will.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I haven't really been keeping up with 2K4, but I'll probably start soon. My main wish for the game is better Goalie AI (which is a constant wish every year for any hockey game) and much much better online support and options.

And as much as I have disliked the EA product for years now, I'm actually rather interested to see what this years game is like. There is supposedly as stronger emphasis on the sim elements of the game, and since Black Box is making it this year, I'm actually inclined to believe it (unlike previous years where they keeping saying they are a sim game because they follow the rules and don't have flaming pucks).

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Oh my, Rivals is going to support up to 10 players spread over 6 XBoxes. I just hope it plays well.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Well I will beleive it when I see it. EA over the past few years has made a crappy hockey game. It is so juvenile and non realistic. It is like a circus atmosphere, I hate it! I will try it out but I am definately not holding my breath.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Just a little more info on this title. 2K4 will now have a skills competition. Thought that was a pretty cool feature.

James T

Screenwriter
I guess any team would have wanted my goalie in 2K3. I played up until the all star game and just about every game, he had a shut out. If not a shutout, then he'd let in 1 goal, 2 at the most on the hardest level. I only found one way for a "sure" goal(the hash mark deek and quick shot).

But with all those extra goodies in 2K4, even if they didn't balance out the goalie AI, I'd still buy the game and have fun. The graphics look great.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Thunderpuck and/or ESPNHockey.net have posted their huge interview with VC about ESPN NHL Hockey. 5 Pages, 83 questions, not much dodging, lots of information and news of upcoming features in the games.

Some really good stuff coming I'd say (as someone who really only cares how the game plays).

Make sure you read it.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, I read that Thunderpuck interview. That was a very in depth and good interview. I wanted to thank Glen for the link to ESPN and Thunderpuck. Thunderpuck is an awesome forum for hockey fans and has a lot of info on upcoming hockey games.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was reading that interview again and really like the fact that they have worked on the power play and penalty killing features. I was just playing 2K3 last night and was getting frustrated because it is hard to score on the power play. The AI is way too aggressive, as soon as you get the puck they are all over you. 2K4's version is for the AI penalty killers to play more of a zone type of penalty kill, so it gives you a chance to cycle the puck and set up the power play. That is too cool. On the penalty kill though, it is way too easy to kill against the AI. My PK% is like 97% plus I score a ton of short handed goals. Now the AI will be a lot more agressive with keeping it in the zone. Anyone who wants the most realistic hockey game ever made should not pass this one up, this should make EA's version look like a complete joke. Also, I highly reccomend anyone who is interested in this game to take a look at the Thunderpuck interview.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

I agree totally. I can't wait to see what enhancements they've made.

I think the All-star skills thing is kind of a sad addon, but it's something new and that's good. If there was something that your player could gain from it, that would be different, but to me it's a kind of ... ehhh... feature.

The rest of the stuff they're working on sounds great.

The game can't get here soon enough.

Glen

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested to try the shot accuracy competition to see if it works the same as in the actual game, but other than that I don't really care much... I wouldn't even make to to the All Star Break in my season most likely.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Me and my friends got our moneys worth out of NHL 2k3 and I can't wait to pick up the new version. However, there are just too many good games out right now and coming in the near future! I already have NCAA 2004 and KOTOR and will probably be picking up VF: Evolution next week. Then September hits and ESPN Football and Hockey come out within a week of each other.

What a great time to be a gamer!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, I definately got my money out of NHL2K3. I am still playing it now. I am in my ninth season in the Stanley Cup finals up 3-1 on the Devils. After I win the Cup again I am calling it quits till 2K4. This hockey game is my favorite game of all time. Even with all the little quircks and flaws that 2k3 had it still is the most realistic fun hockey game I have ever played. And it sounds like they have fixed all of those problems and made a lot of enhancements for 2k4. This game is going to be GREAT! I know what you mean though Brandon. There are a ton of new games on the horizon. GT4,Madden,Soul Caliber,Medal Of Honor and of course Espn Hockey 2k4. It is going to be a very busy and expensive fall. Plus with all the new dvd's out this fall. I need to start working some ot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks