What's new

Any inexpensive red wine suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
Well the Cab Sav will be drier then the Shiraz...

I'll second a couple of Neibaum-Coppola wines. The Black Label Claret is an excellent Bourdeux style wine, and the Coppola Rosso is a very easy to drink table wine.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I concur that Chateau St. Michelle makes a fine affordable wine. I'd also recommend other Washington wines like Columbia Crest and Covey Run. I'd also recommend Chateau Benoit from Oregon, Robert Mondavi & Beaulieu Vineyard (BV) from California, and Blue Mountain from British Columbia.

You usually can find any of the above for $8-15 unless you go for a "Reserve" then you-re looking at $20-30.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I love the Yellow Tail shiraz, and if you're on the west coast, there is a brand that is simply called "Cheap Red Wine". My dad brought some back recently, and it was very good.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
A Merlot is usually a good red wine for the less savvy. Hogue makes a fantastic one for less than $10 per bottle.

Hogue is a Washington State wine - and I love it. That is substantial considering I grew up in the Napa wine country!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Aussie: try Ten Green Bottles, if you can get it. Nice modest priced wine. Also Wirra Wirra Church Block.

Some better Aussie wines (no idea as to US price, our prices are distorted by high taxes) would be Vasse Felix, Leeuwin Estate, Peppertree; if you can get your hands on Brown Brothers' Dolcetto & Syrah, it's a very interesting slightly sparkling sweetish red, but I suspect it's not available outside Oz.

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
If we're talking Austrailian reds, I love the Rosemount Hill of Gold Shiraz. It is a step up in price from the regular Rosemount Shiraz, but the taste is worth it! You can get it for $14 per bottle. For something that's cheap but good, I recommend the Parallele "45" Cotes du Rhone by Paul Jaboulet Aine. It's French, but very fruity and non-pretentious. You can get it for $7 ot $8.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks