What's new

Any IE popup killer as good as Mozilla's? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone knew of a IE compatiable popup killer that works as seemlessly and accurately as Mozilla's built-in one? I know Mozilla's stops all popups unless it detects them opening in response to a mouse click. I haven't been able to find another popup killer which seems to behave this way though. I appreciate any help.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Why not stick with Mozilla? In my experience, Mozilla has been quite stable. Plus, I've never had any problems with Mozilla rendering any of the sites I've visited.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Why not stick with Mozilla? In my experience, Mozilla has been quite stable. Plus, I've never had any problems with Mozilla rendering any of the sites I've visited.
Or if you prefer something more lightweight than Mozilla, try Phoenix. Phoenix is based on Mozilla codebase, so it has most of the cool features of Mozilla (e.g., tabbed browsing, type ahead link finder, popup ad blocking), without all the bloat.
And while it is still an alpha software (version 0.4), it has been extremely stable.
With a Luna theme, you can even make Phoenix look like Internet Explorer.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I use Pop-Up Stopper and it works great. Can't get rid of the on-site ads (the ones that appear OVER a certain website, like the ones on IGN or C|Net), but it sqashes almost every pop-up I've come across. I highly recommend it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I use pop up stopper too and I'm very happy with it. The best part about it is the price (free). I'd say it gets rid of 90% of ads and all I have to do to override it for stuff I want like spell check here @ htf is hold down the ctrl button.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Another very satisfied pop up stopper user here, but, then again, I've never used anything else. It was here at HTF that I learned of pop up stopper in the first place.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i use Popup stopper too... i like how it blocks any popups and doesnt need to compile a list of sites etc to block.
And to disable it, i just hold control when i click :)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
The above mentioned Phoenix has an even better Popup blocker than Mozilla. If you have a site e.g. that depends on popups for some features (like this forum, where you can be notified if a private Message arrives by a popup window), you can whitelist it. It may be that Mozilla introduced this feature in the latest version, I did't check yet.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I use popup stopper as well. Works great. I've also heard good things about Ad Subtract but have never used it myself.

And of course, as always, use in combination with Ad Aware.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I too ask why not just stick with Mozilla?

The only time that I use Internet Exploder is when a web site forces it. Of course, this also means that I will not return to that web site unless I absolutely have to. Otherwise, I use Mozilla with the pop-up blocking enabled exclusively at home and at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks