What's new

Any ideas for a surround sound package for under $550. (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get the best I can for the money. I also don't mind huge speakers. I'm not a fan of the little cubes. I like to see the power:D
TIA!!

BobMcN

Grip
J&R Music World is selling closouts on the AR 215PS speakers for $50/pair. I bought 3 pair and use them as fronts, rears, center and back (6.1 receiver). Got a Parts Express 10" sub for $100. Had a DVD/CD player so no cost there. Then picked up a Kenwood 6060 for about $275. All together it cost:

AR 215PS (3x$50)= $150
10" Sub = $100
VR606 receiver = $275
Total = $525 (plus shipping)

Great sound for the price (those little AR's are an amazing steal and have a reputation as good for twice their original listed price of $299) You could probably go even cheaper if you get a reconditiioned Onkyo receiver from UBID.

Enjoy,
Bob

AaronJB

Second Unit
Panasonic SAHE100 - Approx $250 (I believe jandr.com has this price)
Onkyo SKSHT-500 Speaker Set - Approx $250 @ Circuit City.

SAHE100 offers 6.1 (Official DTS-ES 6.1, Official DTS NEO-6, and unofficial DD-EX - Panasonic's "Extended Surround" is their "equivalent") - I believe it has been tested at 70w x 6 and 78w x 5 by Sound and Vision Magazine. Lots of inputs, very nice build quality and features, considering the price - there are some corners cut for cost - some of the speakers use spring-clip connections and the remote could be (I think a lot, some people seem to be okay with it) better.

SKSHT-500 speaker set is a very, very good bargain - large, well-built speakers that produce a sound quality that I consider sounds like quite a bit more than their price tag would suggest. They are big speaks though (the subwoofer is around 30 pounds alone and the remainder of the speakers are fairly large), but you said in your post that's ok.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
Right now Onkyo has some great deals on their website on "reconditioned" stuff. I just bought the Onkyo speakers that were mentioned above for $180 (they retail for $299) and they came with a sticker on each speaker saying "Minor cosmetic damage" I actually couldn't find any damage at all and they sound awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks