What's new

Any idea where I can find a 50 ohm potentiometer? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I checked at Parts Express and a few other on-line suppliers. Any suggestions?

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Mark thanks for the link! I'm checking it out now. The site is a little hard to navigate for a layman.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Greg: Not a 50 ohm pot. I've built a custom enclosure for my audio equipment and I'm using (2) parallel wired 92mm computer case(2.1W/0.39amps @)fans mounted at the top to vent it. They are powered by an old Rat Shack 12V DC 1amp 25watt power supply. I've plugged the p/s into the "Switched" AC output on my HK525. I need the pot to adjust the fans. I've been told that a pot higher the 50 ohms will have to much resistance. I gotta go to bed, I'm outta' here!

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
John,
I've seen several PC cooling parts suppliers selling rheostat fan controls that would work for your application.

Greg

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Um, if you try to control 800 mA (or even 1/10 that much) worth of DC fans with a trimmer potentiometer, hilarity (and smoke) will ensue.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
John's right. You'll need a potentiometer/rheostat with a minimum 25 watt rating to control those fans, or else you'll smoke the pot (ok, that didn't come out right!) :) . Or use an adjustable voltage regulator circuit instead of just a pot. Or get one of those universal AC adapters with the voltage switch (usually 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 volts). With that you can set the voltage to whatever drives the fans at the speed you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks