Any good websites to learn about street bikes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bruce, I hope you got the title on that 929! I've got a buddy who had a 2001 929 Erion just like that stolen when it was less than a month old in Downtown DC. [​IMG] He replaced it with a 2002 ZX9R. [​IMG]
    Speaking of big pics take a look at this picture of my GPZ on a nice road but only if you've got plenty of bandwidth; it's HUGE!

2. David-S

David-S Second Unit

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Nope, that's some road in West Virginia. Can't even remember the route number. The first smaller photo that I posted here was Skyline Drive. I usually avoid Skyline Drive due to the low speed limits and abundant rangers. It's a beautiful road, but not a good sportbiking road. Actually, that's one of those rare roads when I'd prefer that Valkyrie up there. [​IMG]

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

You'd be suprised at what a Valkyrie can do in the twisties. It does not ride like a Harley-Style cruiser. Your feet are not forward, they are in the standard riding position, like a sport-tourer.
    0-60 in 3.8
    1/4 mile 12.0 @ 107 (Not very aerodynamic.. [​IMG] )
    Not bad for a 700lb motorcycle.
    Here's an article about a guy who took his Valkyrie to the Keith Code Superbike School:
    http://www.valkyrieriders.com/codes.htm
    Check this out! This is what a Japanese company is going with the Valkyrie.
    [​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That's a bitchin' Valk'!

Hey, I road a co-worker's Valk for quite a distance along California's motorcycling mecca, Highway 33. The machine was surprisingly stable in the twisties, owing to its low COG. Though it was hardly "flickable" in the sense of my last personal bike, a CBR900RR. But it's a fun ride if you don't mind all that mass.

7. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Gotta agree with Philip here.

I worked at a motorcycle dealership for about two years. Sold Triumph, Honda, Kawi, Yami, HD and Buell.

While the Valkyrie is sporty for a cruiser, the is NO comparison between it and a sport-tourer, like the VFR800 or SV650.

I would recommend the SV650 to anyone looking for sportiness, but is a first time rider. It has enough potential to keep you satisfied, is fun to ride, and it won't kick the shit out of you like the 929 will.

I personally like the grunt of a twin over a four. If I had the cash when I still worked there, I would have bought the VTR1000 ($6000, 3 years ago, brand new!).

8. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The Valk is a very cool bike. Not my cup of tea, but very cool in its own way.

10. Jack Briggs

Yes, it's definitely cool. In my fantasy garage [thread idea!], there would certainly be a space reserved for this cruiser that doesn't ape the machines out of Milwaukee.

From an academic standpoint, all of motorcycling technology interests me--though I wouldn't plunk down my greenery for much of it. For example, the Titan line of custom H-Ds. When I see those things at The Rock Store, I marvel over the craftsmanship and the ocean-deep paint and chrome. But would I spend $40K or more on one? No way. I would much prefer to spend that much money on a GSX-R1000R and a CBR600F4i, as well as a set of good racing leathers and a pair of Arai helmets--and the insurance.

11. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Actually, my next bike just might be one of these. This new ST1300 just look too cool. It's a 2003 model. They sell it overseas now as the Pan-European.
    [​IMG]

12. Jack Briggs

Leave it to Honda to do things so right. And I love the ST's longitudinal inline Four. You'd think Honda invented the motorcycle.

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

1261cc liquid-cooled longitudinally mounted

90-degree V-4

It's not an inline 4, it's a V-4. The only inline 4s that they have are in the CB750 (Nighthawk) and the new 919. Although in Japan, they have a CB1300 and a CB500 still, I think.

14. Jack Briggs

Haste = typo!

D'oh! I know it's a V-Four, but my hands like to make a keyboard fly at the expense of accuracy!

Beautiful sport-tourer, though.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You might want to check out the new for 2003 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200 also.
    [​IMG]
    It's a heck of a bike on paper, ZX-11 based, much lighter, more powerful, and faster than the Honda (which is IMO only borderline "Sport", much closer to a Goldwing than a CBR in form and function). The ZZ-R will have a chain drive so no shaft effect during spirited riding (if you like a shaft that's a negative, but to me it's a positive), accessory OEM Givi bags, and as much proven reliability as the ST, and probably at a lower price. A good bit sportier than the ST, that may draw you to it or away from it depending on your particular preferences.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

ugh.. the ST1300 is too much of a 'priller futura knockoff. [​IMG]
    not a huge honda fan to begine with though [​IMG]

17. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

When is the ZZ-R1200 coming out?

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Spring this year it's set to hit the states. Nice bike, if that'w what you're into (I am).

19. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, that new Yamaha looks pretty nice. I would like to see a head-to-head battle between that bike and the new ST1300. Whenever I get a new bike, which may be years away, it will probably end up being a sport-tourer.
    I really like the Aprilla Futura as well. It's a nice looking bike. I'm just worried about it's reliability and the ability to find parts for it.
    Remember too, that alot of people consider the Honda Interceptor (VFR800) a 'sport' tourer with the emphasis on 'sport'. The VFR is going to finally be available with factory hard-bags, also made by Givi, I think..
    [​IMG]

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The VFR and the Futura are more what the ZZ-R1200 is aiming at, rather than the very touring oriented ST1300 and Yamaha (which is not available in the states anyway). I like what Kawasaki and Honda have done, OEMing color matched bags from Givi, it's a great idea. The Honda 800 is a bit down on power though for a sport touring bike IMO Personally when carrying my heavy self and many pounds of gear at high speed highway travel I think it would be lacking compared to my GPZ. That's one reason I didn't buy it (though it - the 750 version - was one of the bikes I considered, along with the Suzuki RF900R). Another is that I really dislike Honda styling, I think most of their bikes are ugly as hell, the VFR leading the list (despite the incredibly cool single sided swingarm).