What's new

Any good tabletop widescreen projections TV's? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
In shopping for a 16X9 TV, I have had a tough time finding a "tabletop" rptv. I know mitsubishi offers a 46" version. So does Samsung, but it has some quality issues. Basically, my entertainment stand is 47" wide and has all of my equipment in it and I need a TV that I can set on top of it without the bulky attached factory stands. I assume the new 47" Panny cannot be removed from the base, correct? Any recommendations for a 16X9 tabletop over 45"? Thanks in advance...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, unless I am misunderstanding your post, there aren't any such animals out. The RPTV's are basically in two parts. The bottom half houses all of the electronics and lenses, and the top half is just the case and a mirror to reflect the images out through the screen. They also weigh 2-300 pounds, and the average entertainment center can't handle that.
Glenn

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Pardon my ignorance, I had know idea that the base was technologically functional. I thought it mere worked to put the TV at eye level. Still there are some models that are smaller and could be put on top of a stand that is about 2 feet tall. I was just hoping to find out if there are any more. I think the mits is about 33" with base for the 46" model. Here is a link to the picture:Link Removed
The 50" Samsung model is only 38" tall:Link Removed
From the pictures, you can see what I mean about no base. Do you know of any others that have small or no bases.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ah! I see now. This looks like a 3-parter! I'm a Toshiba man (they come in 2 parts), but I do know that the bigger Mitsi's can have the top half removed for easier transporting.
The question here is, is the botton section just for the speakers? If so, then you could probably whack it off. It might be interesting if you could put it on top of your unit. It couldn't weigh much.
After looking at the rest of their models, it looks like the one that you referred to is the only one that looks like a 3-parter.
I put my 40WS on a 14" cabinet top. I get a better viewing angle but I used 2 x 4's inside to give it more support.
I think I'd email and ask them. That would be so cool if the bottom just housed the speakers and you could pop a few screws and set it up on top.
Glenn

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Other than the Mitsubishi WS46809, the only table model widescreen rptv I know of is the Hitachi 43UWX10B.
Hitachi offers user-menu defeatable SVM, your choice of 540p or 1080i upconversion of ntsc sources, magic focus self-convergence. It has direct access buttons on the remote for selecting inputs so you don't have to cycle through them to reach the one you want. It will not save separate settings for each input, but will let you setup 4 different sets of video settings and toggle through them with one button on the remote without having to enter the menu. This is useful for coping with the fact that different channels on a given cable or sat. system are calibrated differently.
Both sets cost about the same--$2200 or so.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have a Samsung (LCD) projector in the bedroom that is 40 inches diagonal, just 13.75 inches deep and weighs 59.5 lbs. Sony is coming out with a 60 inch (wide) screen (LCD projector) in about a month that is just 21 inches deep and will weigh 132 lbs.

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
Phil-
Any more information on that Sony? I haven't heard anything about it. I've just about given up on the Samsung flcd sets. . .
Markd

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
My local dealer believes the Sony will get there in about 2 weeks or so. I am in the process of trying to get rid of a 60 inch analog TV in the basement sitting idle and I hope to finish the basement by the middle of next year and will move my Sharp 64 inch HD ready TV down there and have been discussing potential options for my reference system. From the picture I have seen the Sony is not a table top in the same manner as the Samsung TVs. It has a unit of the body (speakers, controls) that takes up about half the width of the screen and is in the middle and from the picture I would guess may extend 12-18 inches. So I would bet Soney will have a custom stand available that will raise the height and allow a couple of components underneath. Shaped like below (excuse the refrigerator art).
-----------
|
___ ___|
| |
---

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks