What's new

Any good jazz complilations out there? (1 Viewer)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy jazz music, but like a lot of cds, I don't often enjoy an entire cd from beginning to end. I was wondering if anyone knows of any great jazz cds that have a variety of musicians on them. Or even a cd that you enjoy from beginning to end. I have a few in my very slowly growing collection, such as "Some Kind of Blue", as well as Louis Armstrong.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Many compilation cds offer good variety and value.

I have a 2 disk Concord Jazz sampler, and many others. Look for the labels, and genres eg.: Blue Notes funk jazz, or Verves Saxophone jazz.

They are easier to find in stores than on line, where the titles are hard to find and peruse on automated listings.

Many movie soundtracks can have great jazz on them.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I would check out "Happy Anniversary Charlie Brown". It's Jazz renditions of all the music that has graced the various Charlie Brown specials. It's more contemporary jazz than classic jazz with artists like David Benoit, Chick Corea, Dave Brubeck, BB King, Dave Grusin, etc.

It's on the GRP label and is recorded impeccably.

Of the 800+ discs I own, this one gets as much play as any of them.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
John, It's good to see another Nova Scotian wandering these halls. I took a look on Amazon for any sampler disks. I found this one. Is that the one you have?

Thanks Evan, I'll check that one out for sure!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
One of my favorite compilations is the GRP ARTISTS' CELEBRATION OF THE SONGS OF THE BEATLES (GRD 9827). This is where I first heard Diana Krall and doing AND I LOVE HER no less. A song I loved when I was a kid in the 60's. Ramsey Lewis does MICHELLE, ELEANOR RIGBY by Chick Corea, George Benson's THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD, IN MY LIFE by Spyro Gyra and a whole lot more. I'm sure I've played it more than any other jazz compilation I own. The Diana Krall cut is muy, muy excellente! :emoji_thumbsup:

John Watson

Screenwriter
Dave, small world - that's the one I have! It lead me back to some of the albums the sampler took cuts from.

The GRP Beatles tribute souds very good. I have a bit of a Beatles tribute collection, Count Basie, Chet Atkins, Hollyywoodridge Strings, etc.

Jazz is a big country, with many directions, and its easy to get enjoyably lost.

There is a jazz thread here worth opening up, if you can read something with 100's of posts. Enjoy!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks