What's new

Any good deals on Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius) gear? (1 Viewer)

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Nick-

If you have an AUX port on your head unit, it's probably to allow you to connect a trunk-mounted CD changer. You CAN use this to hook up your sat radio. I am in the process of doing this for my 2003 Accord EX w/o the navigation system. I needed to buy an AUX interface unit specific to my make & model of car (cost approx $110). This gets plugged into the female on the head unit. The attached box has RCA jacks that will connect with yoursatellite tuner. There are sites out there that have directions (sometimes with pix) for DIY. My mechanic can do the job for very little labor, so I am going to avoid the frustration & leave it to him.

One more thing: I am powering my unit from one of the in-cabin 12 volt recepticles. If you power from the circuit box, your unit could (and most likely will) pick up a whining noise from the engine. You would need to add a ground loop isolator (about $15) to resolve the issue.

If I misunderstood and you have an AUX port on the face plate, I envy you that ease with which you can plug right in. In either case, enjoy the streams!

Nick

Second Unit
I just bought the Unit last week. I plug it into the AUX input and it sounds just like playing from a CD player. No loss in sound quality whatsoever (not that I can detect it with my ears anyway) The stereo that bought came with the AUX built-in. Actually I was looking for that particular unit because I want to be be able to play my minidisc.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
So your install was as easy as it gets. Unfortunately, the Honda factory head unit will require a little install for me, but not too bad. Did you get Sirius or XM?

Nick

Second Unit
I got XM because of cheaper fee. So far I'm really happy with it. I am actually listening to the radio in my car which I havent' done that in ages because of commercial. I can't wait to get my free home kit.
How's Sirus anyway ? is it better ? does it offer more program than XM ?

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Never had XM, so can't offer a direct comparison. Ron Epstein has experienced both and, earlier in this thread, feels that XM has a distinct edge in music prgramming. For me, the most important thing was to be able to get National Public Radio wherever my job takes me to. In more than a few towns, after the AM news shows, NPR is classical music all day. With Sirius, I get access to the talk shows as I travel. I couldn't even consider XM without NPR.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The major problem with Sirius over XM is that
Sirius has the same cookie-cutter philosophy
that drove many away from FM radio....

Play familiar songs and play them as often
as possible.

Sirius is a HITS service. They kep their playlists
very tight and as a result you'll often read
complaints on the Sirius forum about repetition.

Now mind you, some people like to hear just the
HITS and don't mind hearing the same songs over
and over again.

XM has a much broader playlist. They play the
HITS but mix it with a lot of obscurities too,
which really works well on the DECADES channel
where it is more likely you'll hear an "OH WOW"
instead of "NOT THAT SONG AGAIN!"

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Ron-

I agree with Sirius having a "Hits" mentality. Of course, I don't have any experience with XM so am relying on your experience of that service. I've been listening to the Broadway's Best and the Raw Dog Comedy streams and have found that I am hearing and re-hearing cuts from the same selection of titles. I'd be disappointed if music was my motivation for getting the service. However, I now am able to get soooo many NPR/PRI shows that aren't broadcast in the NY/NJ area. I also like the fact that, on ESPNNEWS, I can catch Pardon the Interruption an hour after it is aired. As it's on at 5:30, I frequently miss it on the tube. It's nearly as good without the pictures. Overall, I am happy enough with Sirius to extend my subscription for 12 months up front.

Nick

Second Unit
I stop by my parents house the other day and they have Dish Network .I was playing around with the stations.
I didn't know that Sirius is part of Dish network. But I think they only have music on Dish. I was wondering if they simulcast the programs. If you have dish you'll have some idea what their programs are really like.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ed,

I can't argue your reasons for staying with Sirius.

Just looking out for others that may be picking
that service based on its music programming. People
should be aware that there are steep differences
between the two services.

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a Roady 2 today and installed it after work. Paid $129.99 for the entire kit. Came with everything needed to connect to my car and there is a current promotion for a free home kit with mail in rebate if purchased by July 10th.

So far I've listened for about 2 hrs to various channels. I'm really happy with the programming and selection. But since I have a stock GM radio I'm forced to use the wireless FM modulator for the time being. That option is ok to get started but it leaves alot to be desired. I'm already considering a new head unit for my car just so I can go with a direct connection. Not something that I really want to do on a 5 month old car but I guess that's the price I have to pay for not getting the factory installed XM option.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I AM THinking about this.
but its tough to decide which one.

sirius is in the lead with the nfl games nhl and nba.
the vault channel seems to play rarely heard songs from all the bands i listened to while growing up in the the 70's and early 80's.

but xm has a couple sports talk channels that i would like to hear.
fox sports talk and sporting news sports talk.

tough call.

anyone know the total channel numbers for each, xm & sirius?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

I am sure this is a tough choice for you.

From personal experience, I can't stand the
repetition on Sirius. The same music gets played
over and over again. The playlists on XM are deeper
and there is less noticeable amount of repeats.

Let us know what you do.

Nick

Second Unit
Jeramy_K How's the sound on wireless FM modulator ? the one that plug into cigarette lighter is useless. I'm surprised that XM even offer that to people to use it. It reduces the sound to almost AM quality. I will be on vacation in the next couple weeks and was thinking of taking the radio with me, but all newer car don't have cassette players anymore and the one that has xm radio is on the luxury model only. The wireless would come in real handy. I guess I would have to use the one from cigarette lighter for now I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks