What's new

Any Experiences with Wireless rear Speaker Kits? (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I'm moving into a new house (my first) in two weeks and I'm starting to think about wiring for my rear speakers in the new living room. There are obstacles on either side to get around (fireplace on one, large patio door and hallway on the other) making running wires tricky, but doable. I'm loathe to start tearing up the walls or more likely the floor to run wires since its a brand-new house. That leaves getting a wireless kit for the rears like this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/Rocketfish+Wireless+Speakers/pcmcat115900050027.c?id=pcmcat115900050027

My parents use the above kit since they really, really hate wires. However they aren't nearly as picky about sound quality as I am and are listening on simple HTIB-type speakers. Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with these kits? Are they prone to interference? Do they degrade sound quality?

My gut is telling me to just order a big spool of 14 gauge wire from Monoprice and figure a way around, but I want to consider the wireless option. The room in question is 17' x19' and I'm using Energy Take 5 speakers powered by an Onkyo TX-SR605S receiver.

- Guy

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
My mom had some and they sounded OK, but keeping the signal solid was impossible. She wanted to keep her stereo in a closet. It didn't work well.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Are you going to have carpeting in that room? If it has not been installed a good place to run your speaker wires is the 3/4" space that installers leave between the carpet tack strips they nail to the floor and your base board. This is the area installers use to tuck the carpet under the base board. Carpet installers will advise you run your wires in that space and not to run them under the carpet pad as a bulge will start to show up were the wire was laid.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Stephen and Bill thanks for your replies! Alas Bill, the room has hardwood floors which I love. Another possibility is getting tapewire and painting over it.

- Guy

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I was trying to give you the easy solution first. Tape wire is also a solution that can work. Sometimes it is possible to push it under baseboard moldings in hardwood floors so you can skip the paint part. All in all I think you will be happier with a hard wire as opposed to wireless installation which will still require an AC outlet for the surround receiver.

BTW I also love hard wood floors but they can tend to make for more lively room acoustics. You may want to find some ways to add some sound dampening in the room. Things like throw rugs, drapes, over stuffed fabric furniture to cut down on the reflected sound.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Bill -

I'm taking another look at the room tonight (just closed today and finally got the keys!), but I'm definitely leaning towards hard wire, and just hiding it as best I can.

Interesting note about the hard wood floors. I'll have to hear what happens once I get the speakers set up and adjust accordingly.

- Guy

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If there are painted baseboard molding, just run plastic wire mold rig above it and paint it to match.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Guy,

Thanks for trying to get our economy going by purchasing a new home.

When I was doing a renovation of my family room I stripped out the old carpeting and all of the furniture. While I was painting the room I listened to music on my HT. I really noticed a difference in how the system sounded in a naked room. I have been involved with home audio systems for over 45 years and can say that room size and room surfaces can have make a big difference in how a particular speaker system may sound. That all changed when the new furniture and carpet was installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks