Any Epson 5030UB owners here?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh Steinberg, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Hi all -- hoping to buy a new projector soon, and I'm strongly considering the Epson 5030UB.

I had previously had an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 20 projector (around 2007?), it was an SD 16x9 widescreen projector that ended up delivering a far better image than I could have imagined. I was especially a big fan of the lens shift settings, because I didn't have a dedicated theater room, and the placement flexibility is what made the whole setup work.

So in looking at what's out there now, I knew that there were some things I needed, like a pretty flexible amount of lens shift (I'm not living in the same place, but still have the non-dedicated room issue - I can't ceiling mount the projector, and I may only be in my current apartment for a year, so I can't buy something that needs to be placed in a very specific spot, because what's perfect for my living room now may not be perfect in the next place.) I was really happy with how my previous Epson performed, as well as their outstanding customer service.

I recently got a chance to see this projector on display at a local Best Buy, and I was impressed... in a way too bright room, with lots of other displays going, it looked great. I can imagine in a room with the lights off, it would probably look outstanding. (I was only able to demo it in 2D.)

So I'm curious to hear if anyone here has one, and if so, what your thoughts on the projector are. The good, the bad, the ugly.

One thing that's been nagging at me a little... I'm a big 3D fan, so I will be using this for some 3D viewing. I know that DLP is supposed to have zero crosstalk, whereas LCD can have some. However, I've tried searching all over online, and can't really see any significant complaints from people about crosstalk. In general, I'm not in love with the look of DLP (though admittedly I've only seen a few home DLP projectors in less than ideal store demo situations, but find myself not in love with the look at DLP in movie theaters either), and the specs on the DLP projectors I've seen aren't nearly as flexible with placement as they are on the Epson for me, which is a huge factor. And, if I'm to be truly honest with myself, I've got maybe 1000 DVDs and Blu-rays, and maybe 30 or 40 of those are in 3D.. and even fewer of those are either brilliant movies or brilliant 3D. So I'm thinking I might be overthinking it for a feature that may not get used a ton just because there isn't a ton of content. I've just read so many posts and articles about how DLP is so great for 3D, and how LCD is so bad it looks worse than anaglyph, that I'm getting a little freaked from the hyperbole. But I have to think it must be somewhat hyperbole, I mean, the Epson 5030 is supposed to be a great projector, I can't imagine that the 3D it does is absolute garbage.

So with all of that said... looking forward to hearing from any Epson 5030 owners. Love it, hate it, best thing you ever did or worst mistake of your life, I'm interested in hearing it.

Thanks!

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Hey Josh, I have and love the 5030, it's a terrific projector at a great price. I make good use of the lens shift and it works great. I have a lot of issues with crosstalk at my local imax if I tilt my head, but I can't remember the last time I saw ANY crosstalk at home, it just doesn't happen for me.3d movies look stunning to me on it, even the post converted ones are hard to pick from native.I'm projecting at 120 inches and sit closer than I should, about 8 feet back and it's very immersive, FOV filling.If you are ever near Aberdeen md pm me for a demo!

Josh Steinberg and DaveF like this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Sam, thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the 5030. (Sorry it took me a little while to write back -- trying to balance work, moving, and unpacking, so my free time has been a little less, umm, free.)

I think we must be awfully alike in screen size/sitting preferences -- I just measured out the wall today, and realized that I'm going to be going for a 120 inch screen size, also with about an 8 foot seating distance. I've always enjoyed sitting closer than I should as well, and I see no reason to change that for my home setup. I actually just threw on my old Epson Powerlite 20 projector (SD 16x9) just to confirm sizing. I put the image to the size that seemed right to me for the wall, walked back to about where I would want to sit for that size image, and when I measured it, sure enough, about 120" and my sweet spot was 8 feet back. I guess I just like what I like what I like, "proper seating distances" be darned.

(P.S. I'm in NYC, otherwise if I lived closer I'd totally take you up on your offer. That's incredibly generous of you to have made the offer and I truly appreciate it.)

edit: after re-measuring, and consulting with the girlfriend, I've decided to go with 106". I figure I can always change my mind later on that one since I'm just going with a pull down screen for now and not something super fancy or permanent.

Sam Posten likes this.
  4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Is the 5030 cheap enough that the 6030 isn't the better bargain?(Exact same projector, The perks being a real person to talk to in case you have a problem...instead of "1-800 on hold for the next Epson stooge". Extra bulb and longer warranty)

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    That's a good projector, i'd switch the iris off, the only thing which might concern me is dust blobs, having owned LCD in the past i know dust can be a major issue, you switch to a white or red screen and look closely and you would see a lot of small blobs onscreen, i was always opening up my Panasonic and cleaning the actual panels to remove dust blobs, i would never buy LCD again because of this, it has to be a sealed optical path now, of course i have pets so get more dust, you might be fine.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Never had a dust issue with either of my PJs. I don't think I ever cleaned my AE900u but once. I'm not fanatical about looking for dust against a white screen tho, if I can't see em in bright scenes in actual use it's not going to keep me up at night.Josh: Happy to make the offer, love showing off my modest theater and especially the PJ. I commute between central NJ and MD every few weeks to see my family back home so I can tell you it's a breezy trip down 95 AND you get the benefit of stopping for tax free shopping at the Christiana Mall and Costco. =) Tax free liquor? Yes please! It's about 2 hours for me to home so probably about 3, 3.5 for you if you ever get down this way. Come see Jeter's last few games vs. the Orioles in 1000x better seats at 1/10th the price of going to Yankees stadium.Sam: Yes there is a pretty good price delta between the 5030 and 6030 and it was tempting for me when I made my purchase but I figured I was gonna want 4k in 2015/2016 so best to skip it. I'd make the same decision today even tho the prices are even better than when I bought in.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Um, gotta admit something here, think I may have Jedi Mindtricked myself here.I own the 5020, not the 5030. Derp. Wasn't even thinking about it until it just hit me with SChan's comments. I bought in 2013 figuring I had at least a good 3 years until 4K would start pulling me in. I've just seen my first 4k panel in the flesh (I saw Jeremy Kipnes' 4k Sony 100k projector back in like 2010) and still I'm holding steady fine with 1080p. Until there is a standardized format for 4k in the home and movies for sale at consumer prices I'm in no rush. Still, I wouldn't overspend on 1080p at this time as I think we're realistically looking at big news in 2015.My comments still stand, but realize I'm one generation back. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    One last thing: I can definitely hear the iris working but it has never been distracting to me, nor the fan noise. I grew up with clicking film projectors tho, YMMV.

schan1269 likes this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Placed the order for my Epson 5030 last night, with expected Monday delivery. If all goes to plan, I could have this set up Monday night. If it doesn't go to plan... well... it could be another week. Very excited!

Sam (schan), in a word, yes - for me personally, I felt for about $1000 less that the 5030 was a better bargain - though I could see how other users may have different priorities and feel differently. My previous experience with regular Epson customer service was outstanding, so I'm not concerned about not having access to any of the 6030's special customer service perks. I'm not planning on getting an anamorphic lens so having the 6030's attachment for one makes no difference to me one way or the other. And I can always get another lamp later on as needed. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Malcolm - never had a problem with dust blobs on my previous Epson LCD projector (a standard-def 16x9 model from 2006 I think?), so I'm not too worried about that this time around. I'll keep an eye out for dust, but hopefully this will be a non-issue for me.

Sam - (putting on the mock angry face) But I did all of this on your word!!!! Nah, just kidding... if you're absolutely loving the 5020, the 5030 at the least will be equal to it, so your words of experience count just the same and I still appreciate it greatly. I'm not too concerned about the fan noise or iris clicks either... between the projector probably being 4-5 feet behind me and the speakers being on, I don't think I'll notice. Add to that, I'll have the air conditioner going for the rest of the summer, so I won't even have a chance to notice any of those noises til the fall. For better or worse in my opinion and experience, one of the advantages to city living/apartment living with these sorts of things is that it's never 100% silent anyway, so the fan noises and other little clicks and hums from various electronics aren't as distracting as they would be in a perfectly soundproofed room.

(But... but... though I'm in NYC, I'm a Red Sox and Met fan, so don't expect to see me at a Yankees game anytime soon!)

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    And some people are too young for big ol noisy VHS...

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    You get around 5000:1 native contrast with the iris off, that would do for me.

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Not me!... still a couple hundred left of my old tape collection in my parents attic, every few months I go and sort through more of them. I get less sentimental about having pan and scan copies of my favorite movies each year, so it gets smaller and smaller. The ones worth saving are the "taped off TV" musical performances I've grabbed over the years, Star Trek VI on VHS, probably a little less so.

13. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Josh, I'm in CT. If you'd like to see a demo of DLP vs LCD, I'll be happy to oblige.

I have a 5020, and a Sharp 30k. For films that have lots of dark scenes, I'll use the 5020. For almost everything else (especially 3D) I use the Sharp.

While the Sharp 30k is no longer in production, they can still be found if you look hard enough.

I've owned 4 3D projectors. The only one I've seen that is crosstalk free is the Sharp 30k DLP.

Sam Posten and Josh Steinberg like this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Hi Reed -- I ended up ordering the 5030 last night, so I think I'm all set there. Truly appreciate the offer, though!

15. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Best of luck with it. :) Tell us what you think after you put it through some tests.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Absolutely! Already facing the dilemma of "What to watch first?"

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I've never actually tried it Foxy! Will do so over this weekend.Grats on your purchase Josh!

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Pacific Rim!

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Haha. I was one of a couple that prompted you to post here. So, a collective hiccup on model number #:)Josh, look forward to your impressions.

Sam Posten and Josh Steinberg like this.
  20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Looking forward to getting everything set up and having some impressions to share!

All week I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out to watch, because every time I pick something out, a little voice in my head says, "Don't you want to wait for that projector?"

Sam Posten and DaveF like this.