What's new

Any early reviews of Tombstone Vista Series DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I have to admit though, I'm upset it wasn't the LD cut of the film, from what I heard, it was way better than the original.
The LD cut is the same as the theatrical release and the first dvd. The LD does include 5 extra scenes after the feature, and after viewing them today I really don't think they work performance wise. I'm curious to hear some other opinions about them, but for now I going to hold off on buying the dvd.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Chad, they even list 145 min on the laser disc jacket. I find that odd since there is no extra footage put back in the feature. They really must consider the deleted scenes after the movie part of the running time.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the new dvd will be the first time an extended cut is available.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
The LD does include 5 extra scenes after the feature, and after viewing them today I really don't think they work performance wise. I'm curious to hear some other opinions about them, but for now I going to hold off on buying the dvd.
The new cut is not inclusive of all the deleted scenes on the LD. There is also footage that has never been seen before, though it is not overtly obvious.

Additionally, this is a brand new hi-def transfer, with different color timing than any previous release.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't think they work performance wise. I'm curious to hear some other opinions about them, but for now I going to hold off on buying the dvd.
Personally, I like all 5 deleted scenes and think they all add more depth to the film. Each actually has a purpose and helps explains events in the film. In fact, I'd die to see the 3 hour cut George Cosmatos first put together.

I can't wait to buy this DVD. Eventhough it'll be my 3rd copy (original DVD and Director's Edition LD).

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Well, let me just put it this way. The reviews on the 'bits and 'shrine will be appropriate for most TV and RPTV owners. You won't get any glowing reviews like this from the videophile community, though.

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Got a giftcard for Christmas and was perusing the previously viewed video section, in the corner of my eye, I spotted a copy at the local Crap Rental store - make a guess. It has about four scenes that were not in the original, only about four minutes more than the first DVD release. These scenes mostly fill in some loop holes that were apparent. (What happened with doc and Kate, How did the cowboys kill Mcmasters so easily, and further depth into Wyatt and Mattie's failing relationship)
The sound was far and above the Dolby Surround on the first issue. Picture was slightly better, but still grainy. Overall a much better presentation than Ive ever seen before.

This happens to be one of my top five all time favorite films so I was really surprised to find it tonight.

- Andy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Bjoern,

I'd like to see your analysis of Tombstone. What did you find troublesome?

Scott H

Supporting Actor
A brief comment on the disappointment in the extras expressed in the reviews thus far...
As many of you know, this DVD was essentially completed some time ago. When in production there was no Vista Series. I think that those involved in this production were not originally expecting a two-disc release. Thus, when compared to other Vista Series releases which were planned and budgeted accordingly, this title may seem a little light.
Also, the other Vista Series titles are more recent films, for which actual production may incorporate consideration for the DVD releases, which can lead to a plethora of extras. The DVD may begin preparation/production before the film is even theatrically released (e.g. The Panic Room;))
And I believe that the omission of the extra scenes was the director's preference.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
In reference to what Scott said, it sounds like this release has at least as many extras as Unbreakable (which had deleted scenes, but not incorporated into the movie, and also lacked a commentary). That title was thin also. The real key here is the documentary and commentary. Tombstone had one of the stormiest productions in recent history, and enough time has passed that people should be able to talk about these things.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
After Unbreakable and now Tombstone, I'm wondering if the whole point to the 2nd disc in the Vista Series is to isolate the film for maximization of audio/video quality, and not necessarily to pack it with supplements.
I wonder what we'll see with The Sixth Sense (Vista Series).

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or does the special features on this movie not really need a 2 disc set? Just curious cause from the reports I'm hearing is that the transfer isn't that great of quality, DTS is half bit rate. just a 26 minute documentary and then a bunch of text extras. I could be wrong.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
They (DVD File) say it is the worst and most excessive use of edge enhancment yet seen on DVD?!?!
Whats more funny about this statement is that Dvd shrine didn't mention it at all. Given this I doubt I'll visit dvd shrine again because usually Dvd file is quite easy on comments like that.

It's also interesting to note that the gentlemen reviewing this movie for Dvd file was using quite high end video gear so we're not talking peanuts here.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This is somewhat disturbing if true. Tombstone is on my top ten favorite movies of ALL TIME. I really thought they would get it right the second time around! Hard to understand these people sometimes.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I too have read several early reviews regarding Tombstone's "edge enhancement" problem. After everyone has checked out Vista Tombstone themselves, feel free to post any opinions on whether or not you noticed bad edge enhancement on this DVD. Thanks.

Regards

T r o y

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Some folks were hoping that its not as bad as Unbreakable. Eh, well...
Here are some crops for reference (scale factor identical for all):
Fast and the Furious: no EE
Link Removed
Unbreakable: quite a bit of EE, both hEE and vEE
Link Removed
Star Wars TPM: strong EE, especially vEE (at horiz. edges)
Link Removed
Tomb Stone Vista: strong EE, especially hEE (at vert. edges)
Link Removed
Whether you guys will actually have a problem with the ringing depends on the quality of your setup, the distance from your screen, your pickyness and your general preference in picture attributes.
Its quite a nice transfer otherwise, so i think most TV and RPTV users here will be pleased. Don't expect it to get any applause from me, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks