Any difference between progressive and interlaced?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Al L, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Al L

Al L Agent

The PLV-Z2, if I am correct, has a built in deinterlacer. When switched to "Film" mode, you have the choice of L1 or L2 progressive settings. On my DVD player I can choose either Progressive or Interlaced output.

Does anyone know if the using the Sanyo's built in deinterlacer works better thatn the DVD progressive output?

Thanks.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It depends on the player. The deinterlacer is different from brand to brand. YOu have to run your own visual tests to figure out which does it better.

Of course picking i or p from the DVD player is not as simple as that. YOu have to verifiy that the i or the p signal is not degraded ... as sometimes happens on DVD players.

Feeding an already degraded "i" signal into a superior deinterlacer in the projector gets you nothing if vital detail has already been lost before reaching the projector.

REgards

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Wow, all the time I've been on this forum I've never heard that point made before. It's a very good point!! How could you tell that by the way? If it's degraded?

4. Al L

Al L Agent

I tested this out last night and found the interlaced image to be very similar, if slightly worse. I noticed more horizontal lines than in progressive mode and to me, it seemed like the image was more saturated.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Michael,

Any particular test patterns on Avia you would recommend for this test?

6. Kin

Kin Agent

Hello,
    Which DVD player do you have? Is it just progressive scan, or does it upscale [to higher resolutions] as well?

kin@tvauthority.com

7. Al L

Al L Agent

I have the Sony DVp-CS985V. It has progressive scan and interlace output.

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

AVIA TVL 200 REsolution chart. Look at the 6.75 mhz circle and the area around 540 lines of horizontal resolution. Switching back and for from i to p should show you what happens to the fine detail.

Regards

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Question for you....

I always thought you want a progressive scan dvd player if you own an HDTV. Why would I want interlace? Is it because my TV might perform the 3:2 reverse pulldown better? Or, some other reason? My TV is the Sony KP-57WS520.

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I always notice this when I switched to interlaced, made me think that was the better picture.