What's new

Any difference between progressive and interlaced? (1 Viewer)

Al L

Agent
The PLV-Z2, if I am correct, has a built in deinterlacer. When switched to "Film" mode, you have the choice of L1 or L2 progressive settings. On my DVD player I can choose either Progressive or Interlaced output.

Does anyone know if the using the Sanyo's built in deinterlacer works better thatn the DVD progressive output?

Thanks.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It depends on the player. The deinterlacer is different from brand to brand. YOu have to run your own visual tests to figure out which does it better.

Of course picking i or p from the DVD player is not as simple as that. YOu have to verifiy that the i or the p signal is not degraded ... as sometimes happens on DVD players.

Feeding an already degraded "i" signal into a superior deinterlacer in the projector gets you nothing if vital detail has already been lost before reaching the projector.

REgards

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wow, all the time I've been on this forum I've never heard that point made before. It's a very good point!! How could you tell that by the way? If it's degraded?

Al L

Agent
I tested this out last night and found the interlaced image to be very similar, if slightly worse. I noticed more horizontal lines than in progressive mode and to me, it seemed like the image was more saturated.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Any particular test patterns on Avia you would recommend for this test?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

AVIA TVL 200 REsolution chart. Look at the 6.75 mhz circle and the area around 540 lines of horizontal resolution. Switching back and for from i to p should show you what happens to the fine detail.

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Question for you....

I always thought you want a progressive scan dvd player if you own an HDTV. Why would I want interlace? Is it because my TV might perform the 3:2 reverse pulldown better? Or, some other reason? My TV is the Sony KP-57WS520.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

I always notice this when I switched to interlaced, made me think that was the better picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks