What's new

Any Denon 2803 reviews yet? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Just curious whether anyone has read any reviews of Denon's new 2803 yet, or whether anybody on this forum has bought one and what they thought of it. The 2803 is near the top of my shortlist, but I really want to hear what others have to say about it before I make a decision.

Speaking of the 2803, how much difference is there, really, between the 2803 and the 3803? About the only major differences I can see by looking at the data sheets are the 3803's additional WPC, and 192/24 DACs on the 3803 instead of the 2803's 96/24. To me that doesn't seem like enough to justify a $400 price difference, but is there something else I've overlooked?

Thanks for any input you guys might have.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm off the top of my head
3803 has more inputs
LCD Remote
More Power
Up conversion
And of course the DACS

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Jeff: Thanks for the input. I still don't think the price is justified for me. The following isn't meant to attack what you said, I'm just posting it to clarify things for myself.
And of course the DACS
Right again, but from what I understand the difference between 96/24 and 192/24 is minimal, and I don't have (or intend to purchase anytime in the foreseeable future) any high-res sources such as SACD or DVD-A to take advantage of the 192/24.

So, to me, it still seems like the 2803 is a much better fit for me and my budget. If anybody else knows of any other major differences please let me know, because I'm not aware of any. Thanks!

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I think I'd get the Denon 1082 which is the same as the 3802. GoodGuys.com is blowing them out for $699 plus an addtional $50 off this week. That comes out to $649 with free shipping and no sales tax. And they're authorized!

Conversely Good Guys sells the 2803 for $749 with the discount.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I bought a 2803 a couple of weeks ago. Originally I had a Sony DA2ES but ended up exchanging it for the Denon. Let me say that the Denon IMO sounds MUCH better for radio listening. For movies I would rate them about equal, possibly leaning a little more towards the Denon for the extra bass that it has.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
AVR-2803 is similar to AVR-3803 but does not have

1)192/24 Burr Brown DACs, has 96/24 Analog Devices DACs
2)Pure Direct Mode, just Direct mode
3)Alpha 24 processing
4)Component Up-conversion
5)On-screen menus through component video output
6)2 optical digital outputs, only 1 optical digital output
7)5 optical digital inputs, only 4 optical digital inputs
8)Digital audio delay
9)110 watts/ch. into 8ohms, instead has 90watt/ch.
10) Dual surround speaker mode, instead offers 2 pairs of front speaker outputs
11) DDSC
12) Zone 2 composite video output
13) LCD programmable/learning backlit remote, instead has programmable/learning remote with glow buttons and without LCD screen.
14)Capability of accepting 192/24 bit digital signals, only 96/24 bit signals with it's 24 bit/96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver (circuit which detects the differing digital signals) .

Have a good one.

karthikS

Auditioning
Mike,

This is w.r.t the last comparision feature in your list.

Do you know if the denon 3803 or 2803 accepts the 192/24 or 94/24 DIGITAL signals in multi-channel format? Or is it only in stereo? This question is sort of linked to my post in the other thread. So if you have responded to it there, then skip this.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...6#post1445906.

Thanks

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
karthikS,

Manuals make no mention, but my AVR-3803 does accept 96/24 signal for use in DSP modes, not just stereo. Previous models were only able to use 96/24 signals in the Direct mode, nothing else. I believe DSPs and bass management(on stereo mode) is now possible because of the Hammerhead Sharc that's used now. It offers much more powerful processing and perhaps can now handle the high resolution. I was pretty impressed by that fact.

Have a good one.

jad

Agent
I've listened to it at home and really did not like it. I've owned a Outlaw 1050 for some time and for music it doesn't come close. Weak, anemic and uninvolving sound is the only way to describe it. This was using the coaxial dig input. This was my first experience with Denon and expected a little more. Also, auditioned HK avr125, which had stronger bass bit was just too warm and fuzzy and an Onkyo integra dtr-6.2 which was more open and dynamic than the denon but still doesn't really cut it for 2 channel.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Weak, anemic and uninvolving sound is the only way to describe it. This was using the coaxial dig input. This was my first experience with Denon and expected a little more.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>end quote,,,,

my thoughts as well, but I am bothered by the fact that I can't adjust individual speaker levels (or sub) on the fly....have to go into the menu/ test tones?...not at all convieniant....

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,
Actually you can adjust the individual channel levels with out going to the test tones function. You simply press the channel select button on the remote and you can cycle through the speakers for adjustment. Additionally you can shut off the subwoofer with this method as well.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks