Any Dell Axim users out there? Other PDA fans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I just ordered a Dell Axim X5 to replace my aging Palm Vx. I decided on the 400mhz version. Should be here before the end of the month.

I'll be using it for work (documents, spreadsheets) and pleasure (mp3, games). Any "must have" software recommendations?

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'm a PDA fan and I use mine almost daily. However, I'm stuck with the lowly Audiovox Maestro...

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Me too...but I'm using the opposition's OS. I use a Sony Clie NR-70v. Couldn't function without it.

4. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

iPAQ 3975 user here. I use it with my Ericsson T68 phone for remote email and internet access. Bluetooth rocks.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I enjoy my Sony Clie T-615

I'd say the must-have software for a PDA is PalmOS [​IMG]

6. Dennis Reno

7. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i just bought ipaq 1910. and so far i dont need to buy any other software, because i dont use it for games nor other multimedia entertainment. i was thinking of purchasing a map for chicago and san diego though, but couldnt find a good one.

8. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Just bought a Palm Tungsten. Great Screen, Bluetooth built in, Friendly, Familiar Palm Apps - what more could you ask for? I'll be upgrading my cell phone to a bluetooth model to begin using GSM. Anybody know of any cool new bluetooth phones coming out? not crazy about the 68i.

9. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Dell Axim for the sole purpose of using it as a remote for my HT and whole-house audio systems. I use a combo of programs to control apps on my HTPC and my external hardware:

NetRemote Pronto emulator for the PPC, but much more powerful.

Girder Receives commands from NetRemote via wireless TCP/IP connection. Controls apps on the PC and interfaces with external hardware devices via plugins.

and to transmit IR to my external devices:

Slink-E

IMO, NetRemote is THE killer app for a PPC.

- Ken

10. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

I use a Dell Axim and love it. [​IMG] I've only had it about a month now but it is a great PDA for the price and I would recommend it to anyone. I got the 300mhz version with an additional 64mb card to offset the limited internal memory. Great at Notepad, Word and office type apps as well as most games. Movies/mp3's play very well off the memory card or live (I work in videoconferencing so we have live streams that play over the network) and almost all my games are installed to the card and work great. It didn't come with much in the way of extra software and its hard finding a PDA case that I like [​IMG] but great display, sound (thru stereo jack) and design for a cheap PPC.

11. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

My Axim 400Mhz will be here tomorrow...can't wait!!

12. Chris Luebbe

Chris Luebbe Auditioning

My Axim was just shipped today...hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week.

Must have software includes:
    • YAME - NES and SuperNES emulator
    • WinamPAQ - MP3 and ogg player (way better than WMP and looks like Winamp)
    • PocketMVP for playing videos (again, way better than WMP)

I have all of their setup files sitting on my desktop waiting for my Axim to arrive.

If you want to learn more about what your new Axim (or any PocketPC) can do, head over to Pocket PC Thoughts. I suggest going to the "Archives" section first and browsing through the archived front-page articles listed there.

One of the first things I plan to do is rip a few DVDs and watch them on my Axim. Try doing that with a Palm!

13. Chris Luebbe

Chris Luebbe Auditioning

14. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks... any links to casees would be much appreciated. I am looking for a Day Planner style case. I would like a clear pocket for DL, business card etc and plenty of CC pockets and want a flip cover of sometype to protect the screen. CF card pockets etc would be a plus but not a deal breaker [​IMG]

15. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

By the way - Wanted to say that I liked PocketMVP alot. Good playback of all movie types I've tried so far (loaded in local memory). Did notice playback slowdown and lockups using PocketMVP though when files were loaded from CF card and over 20mb... Did Not have same issue using PPC RealPlayer so mileage may vary [​IMG] Just thought I would pass it on.

16. Chris Luebbe

Chris Luebbe Auditioning

Try this one from ebcases. It's only $20. This is the one I'll most likely buy.

17. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Check out Aximsite. It's very informative and has a great, active forum.

- Ken

18. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link to that case - I ended up going with the slipper 5 convertable I think it was - a little bigger but more pockets [​IMG] and I second using http://www.aximsite.com nice site, not too many downloads yet but lots of info.

19. Dennis Reno

Dave - I'm looking at this case by Sena Cases. It is available for $29 for the next few days.

Also, someone mentioned a case with a magnetic closure. Just be careful of storing credit cards near anything with a magnet!

20. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

That Sena case looks great Dennis [​IMG] May have to rethink this and change my order now.. assuming it hasn't shipped yet