What's new

Any Cinema Paradiso: The New Version reviews yet? (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Cinema Paradiso: The New Version is being released in less than a week, and I haven't seen any reviews yet.

Anyone reviews out there?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Oddly, I've not seen a screener arrive yet. Disney usually get out titles at least a week or two early, so I dunno what's up with this one...

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
All that I know is that both 123 minute & last year's 173 minute version will be included on the same disc. And that it's widescreen anamorphic.

I've preordered this title from BestBuy.com for $17.99 (I used a DC - currently presell price is $22.99).

Greatly looking forward to it.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I've been told by Disney's local PR rep that advance copies will be available starting today, so online reviews should follow shortly.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Amazon.ca has it for $19.59 Canadian Dollars (that's just under $13.00 US Dollars). (Note that there's no indication that it is the new version, only that it is being released on Feb 25.)

Michael, this is the VHS edition price.... DVD price is 31.86 Canadian Dollars (20.976624 aprox.)

my question..... spanish subtitles?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Michael is right. I saw this last night. With a couple dollars post, it should come to no more than $15 USD. Except for its being listed as from Universal, it should be the same edition.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
All that I know is that both 123 minute & last year's 173 minute version will be included on the same disc. And that it's widescreen anamorphic.
Isn't this a tight fit?

We're talking about 5 hours on 1 disc.
Anything more than 3 hours usually get's split across 2 discs - so I wonder if we're getting an over-compressed transfer.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Isn't this a tight fit?

We're talking about 5 hours on 1 disc.
Anything more than 3 hours usually get's split across 2 discs - so I wonder if we're getting an over-compressed transfer.
Space isn't an issue. It's a two-sided disc, with the new version on one side and the original on the other.

There is one small problem, though, and I'm sure you'll hear others comment about it once they have the disc. Both sides of the disc are labeled on the inner ring as being the new version. In actuality, the new version is on Side A (as labeled on the top side of the disc as you insert it in the player), and the original is on Side B.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Double-sided discs, eh?

Not a fan... I'd rather have them on 2 discs.

Well, at least it's out tomorrow.

Still haven't come across any reviews.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Sad to see/hear so little about this title, given its imminent rerelease. Out of all of the circulars from this past Sundays paper, there was absolutely no mention of this dvd.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Still haven't come across any reviews.
There's not a lot to say, besides what I posted above.

The movies are presented in anamorphic widescreen (1.66:1), in Italian with optional English subtitles. The new version is in DD 5.1 and the original in stereo surround. The original also has a French-language track.

The extras: a trailer for the new version. That's it.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
How does the transfer compare to the old release?
I haven't done an extensive comparison, but it looks to be about the same, which is fine. The anamorphic widescreen transfer of the old release was always considered to be good. The new extended version looks just as good.

The main differences I noticed on the new DVD: slightly more window-boxing for the 1.66:1 presentation (although it still looks a little shallow to me for true 1.66:1; I notice only on my PC display, not on my 4:3 TV with anamorphic squeeze), and yellow subtitles on the new DVD vs. white on the old.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Disney releasing double-sided discs. I guess they figure the people buying Cinema Paradiso can read and figure out what side goes up without "Full Color Character Artwork." Then again, maybe they messed up the ring labeling to prove their point that people need disc art. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks